OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OJS Roadmap

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

OJS Roadmap

Postby rmchugh » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:51 am

Hi all,

I was wondering if you'd be able to give us an idea of the OJS 3.0 Roadmap. At present we are running OJS 2.3.8 and would like to upgrade in the next six months or so. So the question is whether it is most sensible to wait for a stable version of 3.0 or to upgrade to 2.4.x. I've looked at the OJS Roadmap on the Wiki but 3.0 isn't mentioned at all for 2014.

Thanks very much,

Ronan
rmchugh

Re: OJS Roadmap

Postby asmecher » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:33 am

Hi Ronan,

We've temporarily pulled OJS 3.0 from the roadmap pending the results of a UI/UX review; when that's finished (apparently a few weeks from now) we'll put some estimates and schedules back on the roadmap.

I'd suggest upgrading to 2.4.x. Even after OJS 3.0 is released, we'll be maintaining that line for stability for quite some time, in order to give journals a window to upgrade at their leisure; since the two versions will look quite different, there will be training requirements and some growing pains.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby jasonb » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:41 pm

Alec, and others,
Has there been an update about the roadmap for 3.0? I'm asking because we (Botanical Research Institute of Texas) are considering a pilot evaluation of OJS and would like to figure out whether we should eval 2.4.4 or 3.0a (or the latest on github). Assuming the eval goes well, we'd like to transition to a live production instance of OJS some time this year. Should we go with 3.0 (with the understanding that there will possibly be bugs and rough edges) or with 2.4.4 with the intent of later upgrading to 3.0 once it is stable? Also, could someone point me to a list of major features introduced in 3.0?
Thanks!
Jason
jasonb

Postby asmecher » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:59 pm

Hi Jason,

OJS 3.0 is not yet at the beta stage -- we're trying hard to get the beta concretely scheduled and hope to publish a rough plan for that soon. Currently it's reasonably stable -- dare I say even usable? -- but we may well come up with some data model changes prior to the beta and won't be able to provide a user-friendly data migration strategy to cross those. There are also some bits and pieces that are distinctly unfinished: subscription management, permanent identifier management, etc; if those are crucial to you then I'd suggest staying with 2.x until at least 3.0b is released.

As for what's coming in 3.0, the biggest single thing is a comprehensive user interface rewrite. It finally looks modern. This takes the OJS interface up to the level of the current OMP release and has already gone considerably beyond that. Numerous other fundamental changes are also included: submissions are now considered to be a bundle of files rather than a single one; the workflow is much more flexible, including the ability to create roles and define how they interact with the editorial stages; etc.

The best thing to do, I suspect, is to try installing the current master branch of OJS (which will eventually be released as OJS 3.0b) to see what you can expect, both for functionality and stability, with the understanding that both are moving targets. To be clear, we will not be able to commit to supporting you if you decide to go for production with pre-release code -- but if you decide that's an acceptable level of risk, that may be OK.

As for 2.x, we expect we'll be continuing to maintain it for a considerable amount of time even after OJS 3.0 is released. This will be to smooth the transition for journals that need to fit a major change in with their own production schedules and to let OJS 3.0 mature a little bit before we mothball OJS 2.x.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Development