OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

change display position of leftSidebar (help)

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
The Public Knowledge Project Support Forum is moving to http://forum.pkp.sfu.ca

This forum will be maintained permanently as an archived historical resource, but all new questions should be added to the new forum. Questions will no longer be monitored on this old forum after March 30, 2015.

change display position of leftSidebar (help)

Postby samice » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:08 pm

Hi guys, I'm trying to style components in my leftSidebar, but it interfers with the rest of my page each time i add a new component.. I finally came up with an idea to place the leftSidebar at the bottom of my page to avoid any more interference. So, I cut the
Code: Select all
{if $leftSidebarCode}
         <div id="leftSidebar">
            {$leftSidebarCode}
         </div>
      {/if}

section from "header.tpl" and pasted after the "</div> <!-- container -->" line in footer.tpl. after saving the new changes, I dont see the leftSidebar div anywhere in my journal page. I'm new to OJS, so Please what am I doing wrong? and how should I do it right? I'd appreciate any replies. thank you.
samice

Re: change display position of leftSidebar (help)

Postby samice » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:13 am

Please I'm still awaiting replies.. can't still figure out how to fix this.
samice

Postby mmott » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:21 pm

For the OJS site I designed (http://www.haujournal.org/), I moved the sidebar down. Unfortunately OJS doesn't have a externalized templating system as far as I understand it, so while you can update .tpl files you run the risk they will be overwritten if you update the software. Hence I made only minimal changes in .tpl files and do most using javascript, basically including a javascript file that uses the already present jquery to move the sidebar to a different place on the site.

so I added:
 <script type="text/javascript" src="{$baseUrl}/public/js/hau.js"></script>

to templates/article/header.tpl and to lib/pkp/templates/common/header.tpl just before the
</head>
tag.

the Jquery code I use in the hau.js file for moving the sidebar on the hau website is:
$(document).ready(function() {
   $("body").append($("#leftSidebar"));
});

'append' moves an element and places it after all other elements in the body tag in this example.

Hope that helps, it's a bit of a hack, but one that is relatively easy and doesn't change the base code too much.

M.
mmott

Postby samice » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:41 pm

You, my friend are genius! :D it worked at first try. Just the answer to my problem.
Thanx M, I owe you one. :)
samice

Return to OJS Development