OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OJS 3.0 Alpha 1 Released

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

OJS 3.0 Alpha 1 Released

Postby asmecher » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:57 pm

The Public Knowledge Project is proud to announce the release of a public alpha of Open Journal Systems (3.0a). This is an early opportunity to conduct technical testing and explore some of the new elements that will be released in OJS 3.0, currently planned for 2014. It represents a major rewrite of OJS to take advantage of many of the technologies that were pioneered in OMP 1.0, released last year, based on feedback gathered over several years of working with publishers and editors.

We will use technical feedback and discussion based on the 3.0 alpha release to work towards a public beta test, date still to be scheduled, which will be closer to a functionally complete piece of software. Neither alpha or beta releases are intended for production use. They are intended for semi-technical audiences.

This alpha release includes a complete journal presence including installation tools, main website, setup, email management, etc.; editorial workflow, including submission, peer review, editorial, and production stages; and a basic reader front-end. It does not yet include rewritten subscription management, payment, reading tools, and other major elements.

We are pleased to announce that California Digital Library will be performing UI/UX (User Interface/User Experience) testing based on this alpha release and is currently soliciting participants. If you would like to be included in a guided testing and feedback gathering process, please contact us and watch for an online sign-up survey will be made available for interested participants shortly.

The download is available from http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs_download.

Best regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Re: OJS 3.0 Alpha 1 Released

Postby Ojser » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:05 am

Thank you for the news.
I hope that OJS > 3.x would be much more flexible than currently and it could take advantage of the new technology facility to simplify the publishing and peer-review process.

Thank you, Alec and all OJS team!
Ojser

Postby Ojser » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:44 am

At first glance, it looks nicer than osj2! Good job!
Where we can provide you with feedback for suggestions, issues..etc?

Thanks
Ojser

Postby asmecher » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi Ojser,

It's informal; you can post a new thread on the forum for now. If that's cumbersome we'll suggest another place.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby beuseful » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:59 am

Good news indeed :-)
Our tech department looked into OJS because we want to know if we could host it by ourself and they found some things that they didn't like. I would like to know, if there will be something different in OJS 3.X with regard to that.

The main points were, if I get it right:
1) Use of classes: OJS seems to change some classes so that they differ from the standard -> security issue they say
2) Individual design: If we want to change let's say the menu or the icons in the sidebar they say they have to go deep into the core of OJS, because some things of the site structure are to be found there. So with every update of OJS these changes have to be done again -> a lot of work and prone to failure.
beuseful

Postby asmecher » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:53 am

Hi beuseful,

1) I'm not sure what they're referring to; could you provide more specifics?
2) We use a templating system to separate business logic etc. from the markup; changing markup may mean modifying a template file, but that's hardly deep into the core of the system. If you have an example modification I can outline what it would involve.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby rmchugh » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:35 am

Hi, I was wondering if you there are any demo installs of OJS 3.0 that I can look at? Also, do you have a more precise idea of when a stable release will be made in 2014?

Thanks,

Ronan McHugh
Royal Library of Denmark
rmchugh

Postby asmecher » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:02 am

Hi Ronan,

We don't have a public demo installation of OJS 3.0a (yet -- we may in the future, but don't have plans for it yet) -- it's mostly intended for technical feedback and testing. Our release plans are kept up to date at our milestones page.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby lednakashim » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:56 pm

Is there an OJS Alpha to Beta to Release upgrade path?

I am getting ready to start a new journal.
lednakashim

Postby Ojser » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:11 pm

asmecher wrote:Hi Ojser,

It's informal; you can post a new thread on the forum for now. If that's cumbersome we'll suggest another place.

Hi Alec,
Thank you for your answer and sorry for this late reply from my end.
As it is still very basic, I may cannot provide thoughful comments...
- At the present view, I would prefer that the menu will be easily customizable; for example instead to have "Submission" as a submenu of "About" menu, one may make "Submission" as a main menu on the main bar, but not hidden in the "About" menu.
- It is more intuitive for a publishing platform to find "submit" on the main page, but not to seek for it systematically!
- Also, one may prefer to easily change the order of the menu elements (current, submit, about,...archive,) more easily than in OJS2!
- Reduce and simplify the number of steps from submission to publishing and make them more flexible and easy to follwo! In OJS2, this is somewhat daunting now!
- I would suggest to take a look for example to some other publishing platforms and take advantage of their pros and avoid their cons!

Regards,
Ojser

Return to OJS Development