OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OxS Improvement suggestions

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

OxS Improvement suggestions

Postby ramon » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:19 pm

Hello all,

I couldn't think of a place to add this yet, as I wanted to discuss it first.
My suggestion is to add an AJAX search mechanism during the submission and metadata editing processes.
This way, the author would see articles submitted with the same subject, and check if the article is really fit for the journal.
I'm not really sure if it would improve the process at all, but thought to bring this up to see how the idea could be improved in order to be implemented.

I came up with this idea when thinking about using OJS as a support tool, where users could submit their issues and check with the AJAX whether there was a similar question. So, instead of adding a new item, they would comment or add to the existing one.

I don't think it would be a difficult feature to add, as the search is already implemented. All that is required is the AJAX response from the pages, which would also create a new layer of possibilities for integrating with other tools...

Instituto Brasileiro de Informação em Ciência e Tecnologia - IBICT
Ministério da Ciência e Tecnologia - MCT
ramon

Re: OxS Improvement suggestions

Postby ramon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:38 am

Hello all,

Hmmm... seems no one read or cared for the previous suggestion about AJAX, so I'll throw another one here before landing on the Bugzilla.

This next one should really be implemented, as it will add improved navigation for all:

Add a NEXT article navigation mechanism in ALL pages (if not already).
Instead of having to return to the list of submissions, the NEXT link will allow the Editor/Reviewer/Author/Reader to jump to the next submission/article in line, within the category(unassigned, in review, incomplete, archived, in editing, etc)/section (articles, opinion paper, etc) being browsed.

Analista em Ciência e Tecnologia

Instituto Brasileiro de Informação em Ciência e Tecnologia/IBICT
Ministério da Ciência, Tecnologia e Inovação/MCTi
SAUS - Setor de Autarquias Sul
Quadra 05 Lote 06 Bloco H - Sala 500
70070-912
Brasília/DF

Ciência da Informação
Inclusão Social
Portal de Revistas do IBICT
ramon

Postby asmecher » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:14 pm

Hi Ramon,

Keep an eye on what we're doing over here:
http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php?title= ... Web_Design

This work will be going into OMP 1.2 / OJS 3.0, which is under heavy development. We're unlikely to move that functionality back into OJS 2.x as it'll mean implementing it twice.

Also watch out for the developer blog (to be launched soon) and the PKP blog, where we keep the community up to date on how this stuff is progressing and solicit feedback on designs.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby ramon » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:21 am

Hello Alec,

That's great news, as always.
Keep us posted of the launch through the PKP News blog so I can sign to that feed as well.

Analista em Ciência e Tecnologia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instituto Brasileiro de Informação em Ciência e Tecnologia/IBICT
Ministério da Ciência, Tecnologia e Inovação/MCTi
SAUS - Setor de Autarquias Sul
Quadra 05 Lote 06 Bloco H - Sala 500
70070-912
Brasília/DF

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ciência da Informação
Inclusão Social
Portal de Revistas do IBICT
ramon

Return to OJS Technical Support