OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

No submission upload: Error Empty Response

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

No submission upload: Error Empty Response

Postby fabrcop » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:09 pm

Hello.

I am not able to upload articles (submissions) and I get Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE) and then the message, in Italian, translated into English by me: "The server has closed the connection without sending data". This happens at Step 2, Uploading the Submission, as an Author (even if I am the Journal Manager and the Site Administrator, too).

I have found only a similar case in this forum: the problem was fixed by changing the file attributes of certain folders (a few ones) to be writable for all users, that I understand must have the value 777. Also, the public attribute of the file config.inc.php had to changed to read.

However, changing the file/directory attributes does not work for me. I still get the same error, and no article is uploaded.

The OJS software is 2.3.6.0 (I downloaded it several months ago but I did not use it so far).

What can I do?

Thanks,

Fabrizio
Italy
(fabrcop)
fabrcop

Re: No submission upload: Error Empty Response

Postby fabrcop » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:51 am

Hello.

I have found that the attributes I assign to some of the directories, are not accepted.

Specifically, the directory /file/ contains 5 subdirectories where I cannot change the attributes to 777 (or 666 or whatever), but they remain 755 (that is rwx r-x r-x) so that the public cannot write into these subdirectories. I also see that, while the other directories are managed by the user "ipotesi" (that is me), these subdirectories are managed by the user "apache", instead. I can't figure out what it means, and, in the end, how I can change their attributes to 777 (or 666?).
These blocked subdirectories (under the directory file/ ) are: /site ; and /journals/ ; under /journals/ there is the subdir /1/ and under /1/ there are /articles and /issues .

I am no expert of Linux at all, but I guess that these attributes prevent the submitted articles (or whatever file) to be written into these subdirectories.

Thanks for any help.

Fabrizio
Italy
(fabrcop)
fabrcop

Postby fabrcop » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:36 am

News:

I made a trick, since I noticed that the blocked directories allow the user (that is me) to change their name. So I changed their names to dummy ones, then I created new subdirectories with the right names, and the right structure of course, and I changed their attributes to 777: but the result is... that nothing changed, and I get the same error while trying to upload an article. I tried to change their attributes to 666 but it was even worse, since I could not access the 666 subdirectories from the file manager. So I changed them back to 777, but the problem is not fixed.

Thanks for any help.

Fabrizio
Italy
(fabrcop)
fabrcop

Postby JasonNugent » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:51 am

Hi Fabrizio,

You can't change the permissions on directories that you do not own. In some cases, the user that your web server runs as (often 'www' or 'nobody') owns the directory, so you won't be able to change those unless you have access to the root account on your server. Your systems administrator may have to do that for you.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby fabrcop » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:48 am

Just for information: we did not fix the error, but we just installed the OJS software on a new hosting (!) and it works now...

Fabrizio
Italy
fabrcop

Return to OJS Technical Support