OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

E-Mail Templates

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

E-Mail Templates

Postby metricgravity » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:40 pm

Hi.

I have a question about how to use the e-mail templates. I understand that I can create a link to an e-mail template form. However, I do not understand how to set the recipient of an e-mail message, or how to set the values of variables within a template.

As an example, I am interested in using the e-mail template, "COPYEDIT AUTHOR COMPLETE," which goes from an author to a section editor. I changed the wording of the e-mail message such that it now is a request from an author for a section editor to review a manuscript. The new wording of the template is as follows:

{$editorialContactName}:

I have submitted the manuscript, "{$articleTitle}," to the Journal of Insect Science Online Submissions System. I request that you see through the editorial process in your role as Editor.

Submission URL: {$submissionUrl}
Username: {$editorUsername}

Thank you,
{$authorName}

I want to create a link for an author to send this message to a section editor of his choosing. To do that, I would need to be able to select the recipient of the message. However, I have not been able to figure out how to create a link for a particular recipient. I also need to set the values of the Smarty variables ({$editorialContactName}, {$articleTitle}, etc.) to specific values. However, I was not able to do that.

I was wondering if someone could please help me. I can clarify if my question is confusing.

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,
metricgravity
metricgravity

Re: E-Mail Templates

Postby asmecher » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:04 am

Hi metricgravity,

The easiest way to open an email template is to use the "template" parameter to the /user/email handler -- however, using that technique you will not be able to use email variables. If you want to use email variables and control recipients, you'll need to code up a new function rather than using the "template" parameter. To do this, have a look at some of the existing examples -- if this message is being sent by the Editor, then look at e.g. pages/sectionEditor/SubmissionEditHandler.inc.php at the thankReviewer function (and associated SectionEditorAction::thankReviewer function).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support