OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OJS extremely slow when browsing submissions

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

OJS extremely slow when browsing submissions

Postby rullrich » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:56 am

Hello dear ojs-forum,

I'm asking for help in this forum because we experience some severe performance problems with our ojs installation. OJS itself runs on an SusE Linux-Enterprise 10 operating system, with Apache 2.2.3 and PHP 5.1.2. OJS connects to a mysql-Server (Version 5.0.26) located on another network; besides the ojs-pages Apache also delivers pages managed via a typo3-instance on the same server. The problem ist that when I browse the submission list apache takes as long as ten seconds to deliver the list. I didn't measure the time apache takes exactly, but more or less it always takes ten seconds to build the list. What I did then was to take my ojs-files an copy them to my local windows-7 workstation, where I have xampp installed, but config.inc.php uses the same db-server as before, but this time the dbserver is located on the same network as my workstation. Well, the difference in page delivery is amazing: on my local machine it takes not more than 1,5 - 2 seconds! My local xampp-installation runs on php 5.3.5 and Apache/2.2.17.

What do You thinks? Could it be the elder php/apache-versions running on the production server? Are there any known problems with apache 2.2.3 and php 5.1.2 when running ojs ? Or do You rather think we are experiencing a network problem?

Any hints or hepl would be appreciated very much, and thanks fog giving us OJS!

Yours,

Ralf
rullrich

Re: OJS extremely slow when browsing submissions

Postby JasonNugent » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:02 am

Hi Ralf,

Do you have any other PHP/MySQL applications that you can try in the same scenario to see if they are also affected by network latency? Maybe something like Wordpress? If those applications are also slow, then you can probably rule out OJS as the source of the problem.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby rullrich » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:57 am

Hi Jason,

thanks for Your answer. Yes, we have another LAMP-App running, namely typo3 CMS and people are complaining that it runs rather slow, but it is nothing compared to OJS. Do you know if Apache 2.2.3 in conjunction with php 5.1.2 is especially prone to errors when running OJS? I hardly can imagine that!

Yours, ralf
rullrich

Postby JasonNugent » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:23 am

Hi Ralf,

One thing I forgot to ask in my original comment -- what version of OJS are you using?

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby rullrich » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:30 am

Hi jason,

we use version 2.3.1.2.

Yours,

Ralf
rullrich

Postby JasonNugent » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:11 am

Hi Ralf,

2.3.1-2 is a pretty old version, and it's entirely possible that there have been performance improvements made since then. Is trying 2.3.8 a possibility? If you decide to upgrade, please make sure you've made backups of your existing datababase, OJS directory, and submitted files.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Return to OJS Technical Support