OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OJS Pay-per-view

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

OJS Pay-per-view

Postby NPanes » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:18 am

I am finding it impossible to make pay-per-view work. At present when I log in as a reader and try to see a pdf I get the message "Subscribers only".

In the setup up management section I have unticked "This journal is open access" and ticked "this journal will require subscriptions". However I have created no subscriptions as I want pay per view only. Under the Payment options I have ticked paypal activation, ticked donations, and ticked Reader fees only (no subscriptions) as well as putting in a fee amount. I have not ticked "Only restrict access to PDF articles" but PDF is the only format of documents loaded.

If as a reader I click on "Subscribers only" there is of course no subscription offered, but neither is there any chance to "pay per view".

If I create a subscription type the paypal link does work, as it does when I make a donation, although I am having a separate problem with IPN which we'll ignore here.

Bottom line is that with these settings the reader is offered no opportunity to make a Paypal payment - what's wrong anybody? By the way, I am not technical and OJS was installed by my web hosting company, therefore I do not really have the capability to go nosing in the installation setup. If you cannot help but know a UK based OJS expert I could speak to plaese let me know.
NPanes

Re: OJS Pay-per-view

Postby michael » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:02 pm

Hi NPanes,

Which version of OJS are you running?

Thanks,
Michael
michael

Postby NPanes » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:55 am

Hi Michael

I'm sorry about the delay in replying - I did not receive an email notifying me of your response.

I am using version 2.3.8.0 of OJS

Regards

Nick
NPanes

Postby michael » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:02 pm

Hi Nick,

Have you set the access status for the issue to "Subscription", under the Issue Data tab?

And have you set the article access status to "Default" in the issue table of contents?

Cheers,
Michael
michael

Postby NPanes » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:58 am

Thanks Micheal

Yes, each relevant issue is set to Subscription and the table of contents is all at at Default. Other settings are per my posting.

By the way I ticked "notify me of new postings" in my profile but it still is'nt. Do I need to subscribe to any topic?

Nick
NPanes

Postby michael » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:43 am

Hi Nick,

NPanes wrote:Yes, each relevant issue is set to Subscription and the table of contents is all at at Default. Other settings are per my posting.

To confirm, when you try to purchase the article, i.e. clicking on the PDF link, are you logged out of the admin account? That is, are you trying to access the article using an account without any privileges? Journal Manager and Editor accounts have access to all content by default.

NPanes wrote:By the way I ticked "notify me of new postings" in my profile but it still is'nt. Do I need to subscribe to any topic?

No, that should be it -- perhaps check your spam folder to see if the emails are getting caught in your spam filter.

Cheers,
Michael
michael

Postby NPanes » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:50 am

Hi Michael

Yes, I am logging in as a reader with no subscriptions activated. However I do not get a PDF link to click on. Where it would appear there is a link entitled "Subscribers only". When I click on that it takes me to a blank subscriptions page.

Nick
NPanes

Postby michael » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:55 pm

Hi Nick,

Since you're not offering subscriptions to your readers, make sure that you have "Always show galley links and indicate restricted access" checked in Journal Setup => Management => Access to Journal Content

This will ensure that you have links for your article galleys that readers should then be able to click in order to purchase the article.

Cheers,
Michael
michael

Postby NPanes » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:26 am

Michael, thanks, this is the step forward I needed. Paypal payment is now offered.

My recollection is that I still have some sort of IPN problem, but I'll let this rest until after Christmas and post a query if I cannot sort it.

Thanks again for your help!

Regards

Nick
NPanes

Return to OJS Technical Support