OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Imported Issues appear in Archives, Not in Back Issues?

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Imported Issues appear in Archives, Not in Back Issues?

Postby sillyKris » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:38 am

Hi all,

I've encountered a very bizarre behavior.. I had successfully imported back-issues for two of the journal modules at http://smithsonianrex.si.edu (Anthropology and Botany). I used the same exact XML files (one of which is copied below), but when I imported back-issues to the following three modules (Marine Sciences, Paleobiology, etc), the Back Issues page from the Editor view is empty. All the issues appear in Archives, and they appear in the associated Journal webpages... Does anyone have an idea of why this might be happening? There are some controls that you get through the Back Issues page that you do not in Archives, and I'm eager to get this straightened out.

Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
      <!DOCTYPE issues SYSTEM "native.dtd">
      <issues>
   <issue published="true" current="false" identification="title">
      <title locale="en_US">Middle Proterozoic (1.5 Ga) Horodyskia moniliformis Yochelson and Fedonkin, the Oldest Known Tissue-Grade Colonial Eucaryote</title>
      <volume></volume>
      <number>94</number>
      <year>2002</year>
      <date_published>2002-01-29</date_published>
      <access_status>1</access_status>
      <access_date>2009-01-01</access_date>
      <show_volume></show_volume>
      <show_number>1</show_number>
      <show_year></show_year>
      <show_title>1</show_title>
      <section>
         <title locale="en_US">Articles</title>
         <abbrev locale="en_US">ART</abbrev>
   <article>
            <title locale="en_US">Middle Proterozoic (1.5 Ga) Horodyskia moniliformis Yochelson and Fedonkin, the Oldest Known Tissue-Grade Colonial Eucaryote</title>
            <abstract locale="en_US">“Problematic bedding-plane markings” discovered by the late R.J. Horodyski from the Appekunny Formation in Glacier National Park, Montana, and dated at approximately 1.5 giga-annum (Ga), were never formally named. We are convinced the specimens are biogenic and have placed them within Linnaean nomenclature as Horodyskia moniliformis Yochelson and Fedonkin. An apt description of the locally abundant fossils is “string of beads.” On each string, beads are of nearly uniform size and spacing; proportionally, bead size and spacing remain almost constant, regardless of string length or size of individual beads. They may not be related to any other known fossil, and their position within highest levels of the taxonomic hieararchy is enigmatic. We judge they were multicellular, tissue-grade, colonial eucaryotes. Similar strings have been reported from Western Australia, but nowhere else. The general geologic setting in Montana, details of sedimentation, and taphonomy suggest the organisms were benthonic, growing upward about 1 cm through episodically deposited eolian dust. During life, specimens were stiff and relatively strong, but show no evidence of a mineralized skeleton. They lived in poorly oxygenated water with the body progressively subjected to anaerobic conditions. Their energy source is obscure; their mode of growth and several features of interpreted environment lead us to speculate that Horodyskia likely lived primarily by ingesting chemosynthetic bacteria rather than by photosynthesis. This notion should be tested by searching red, fine-grained, subaqueous arenites of approximately the same age throughout the world for additional occurrences.</abstract>
            <date_published>2002-01-29</date_published>

<author primary_contact="true">
               <firstname>Mikhail A.</firstname>
               <lastname>Fedonkin</lastname>
               <email>schol_press@si.edu</email>
               <biography locale="en_US"></biography>
            </author>

<author primary_contact="false">
               <firstname>Ellis L.</firstname>
               <lastname>Yochelson</lastname>
               <email>schol_press@si.edu</email>
               <biography locale="en_US"></biography>
            </author>

<galley locale="en_US">
               <label>PDF</label>
               <file>
                  <href src="http://www.sil.si.edu/SmithsonianContributions/Paleobiology/pdf_hi/SCtP-0094.pdf" mime_type="application/pdf"/>
               </file>
            </galley>

</article>

</section>
   </issue>
</issues>

Thank you!
sillyKris

Re: Imported Issues appear in Archives, Not in Back Issues?

Postby sillyKris » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:26 am

Hi there-- has anyone else encountered this issue? Anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing it?

Thanks so much!
sillyKris

Postby jmacgreg » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:14 pm

Hi Kris,

I'm looking into the display on your install, and while it looks like something might be interfering with the actual table display for that particular journal, I'm not seeing any errors in the server's error log. Did you run into any errors when you imported those issues? And this is a long shot, but have you made any modifications to the templates that display those issue pages?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby sillyKris » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:23 am

Hi James,

Thanks for your reply!

I did occasionally run into errors while uploading XML files, but there were always at least a few issues for each journal module that uploaded flawlessly and still don't display properly. And I have made edits to various templates, but since the same template feeds each module shouldn't they all work or all not? I can still see the Back Issues subsection for Anthropology and Botany, just not any of the others. I did try removing my template changes, but it didn't seem to affect how the Back Issues section displayed.

So perplexing! Any help you may be able to offer in untangling this mystery would be appreciated!
Best wishes,
Kris
sillyKris

Return to OJS Technical Support