OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Disappearing Generic Plugins

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Disappearing Generic Plugins

Postby sgc » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:15 am

Hi

We are having a strange problem with disappearing generic plugins. The standard generic plugins are available and working for most of the 29 journals on our site but 6 are missing for some of the newly created journals. As these include Google Analytics and the Custom Block Manger they are quite significant. When this started is unknown, as plugins are generally not used until a new journal is in development and the site manager only recently noticed the problem.

At this point I am somewhat baffled. Everything looks normal and a quick look at the tables shows no obvious problems. As a sysadmin I don't use the software often but I cannot see any obvious issue on that side. Any thoughts?

Simon

OJS 2.3.6.0, MySQL, Linux, PHP 5.2.17
sgc

Re: Disappearing Generic Plugins

Postby asmecher » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:41 am

Hi Simon,

Do the "missing" plugins appear at all in the Journal Manager's "System Plugins" page?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby sgc » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:03 pm

Alec

The missing plugins do not appear on the Journal Manager's "System Plugins" page for the new journals. They do appear for the older journals.

Simon
sgc

Postby asmecher » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi Simon,

That's very strange. Have you made any modifications to the system, or performed any system administration changes (like PHP upgrades) around the time the plugins stopped working? Is anything relevant showing up in the error logs?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby sgc » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:21 pm

Hi Alec

We work in a hosted environment so I have no access to the logs. Unfortunately I have no idea when the problem occurred so it is possible that it happened with a PHP upgrade, system change or the like but I have no way of determining.

The strangest thing is that it only effects these 6 generic plugins. I tried replacing the missing plugins with clean copies in the unlikely event that there was something there but it had no effect. Looking at the tables nothing appears to be out of place but I may easily not be looking in the right place.

Simon
sgc

Postby asmecher » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:11 pm

Hi Simon,

Even in a hosted environment, you should have access to the logs; they're typically in a subdirectory of your home directory.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby sgc » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:05 am

Alec

Sadly not the case in our hosted environment! In your opinion would a clean upgrade (Full Package) be likely to help? I am at a bit of a loss as there seems no obvious solution. Thanks.

Simon
sgc

Postby asmecher » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:32 am

Hi Simon,

I doubt an upgrade will change this behavior and I'm afraid I'm at a loss to think of what in a stock OJS installation would cause this behavior. Without access to error logs your debugging options are pretty slim, so I would suggest pursuing those with your host. (It's very unusual not to get access to these.)

If you're at all handy with PHP, I would suggest starting with pages/manager/PluginHandler.inc.php, which is responsible for the Journal Manager's "System Plugins" page, and working into lib/pkp/classes/PluginRegistry.inc.php (particularly loadCategory), which is responsible for loading the plugins that are listed there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support