OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Remove users from site level

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Remove users from site level

Postby Ojser » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:11 pm

Hi,

I'm searching to remove users from the site level but I don't see any tool for that!
All what I see : enable, enroll, disable! I enrolled many test names and I want to remove them easily and quickly, but don't figure out how!
Well, as a non-native English, I wanted to make sure what "merge" does mean, so I looked up in Oxford dictionary, and here is what I found:
Definition of merge
verb
combine or cause to combine to form a single entity:
[no object]:
the merchant bank merged with another broker
[with object]:
he agreed to merge his broadcasting company with a multinational concern
blend or cause to blend gradually into something else so as to become indistinguishable from it:
[no object]:
he crouched low and endeavoured to merge into the darkness of the forest
[with object]:
he placed a sheet of paper over the fresh paint to merge the colours
[with object] (usually merge something in) Law absorb (a title or estate) in another.
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definitio ... ge?q=merge

Based on this definition, why I have to merge a user to remove it? How we can "merge" a single user? Merge him to what, with whom?
Won't it be simpler to have "remove" or "delete" rather than "merge" ?
Is there something hidden or I misunderstand the thing?
And why there is no simply "delete" or "remove" option when we list the enrolled users?

Thanks
Last edited by Ojser on Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ojser

Re: Remove users from site level

Postby JasonNugent » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:26 am

JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby Ojser » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:33 am

Thanks, Jason.
Well, to be frank I'm not so "convinced" by the argument given in the FAQ !
Anyway, if "merge" should replace "remove", so why it is not available next to the users?
I mean in the list of enrolled users, next to each name user. We should have the merge option available whenever we access the list of members. But now, we have to go to another page to select and merge.
If "merge" was available from the same page, next to each name, this will be more handy.

Regards
Ojser

Postby Ojser » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:27 pm

I'd just add, if the journal manager or admin deletes a user, this is the responsibility of the manager, not the problem of OJS.
So, not including a "delete" option for the sake of merge is not totally justified as it is the role of the journal manager to know what he should do, and what he shouldn't.
Another option is to make the deletion in tow steps: delete and possibility to recover til the journal manager decides to permanently delete the cache.
Ojser

Return to OJS Technical Support