OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Fatal error: Call to a member function getUserVar()

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Fatal error: Call to a member function getUserVar()

Postby Ojser » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:10 am

Hello,

I'm trying to publish a test article and see how it looks like in OJS but when I click on Upload (under Editing>Layout>Layout Version), I have the following error:

Code: Select all
( ! ) Fatal error: Call to a member function getUserVar() on a non-object in C:\wamp2\www\testjournal\pages\sectionEditor\SubmissionEditHandler.inc.php on line 1659
Call Stack
#   Time   Memory   Function   Location
1   0.0010   147440   {main}( )   ..\index.php:0
2   0.1232   3211160   PKPApplication->execute( )   ..\index.php:63
3   0.1283   3377952   Dispatcher->dispatch( )   ..\PKPApplication.inc.php:189
4   0.2946   5724448   PKPPageRouter->route( )   ..\Dispatcher.inc.php:133
5   0.3834   8021200   PKPRouter->_authorizeInitializeAndCallRequest( )   ..\PKPPageRouter.inc.php:266
6   0.3968   8194168   call_user_func ( )   ..\PKPRouter.inc.php:370
7   0.3968   8194184   SubmissionEditHandler->uploadLayoutFile( )   ..\PKPRouter.inc.php:370
8   0.3991   8231472   SubmissionEditHandler->_uploadLayoutVersion( )   ..\SubmissionEditHandler.inc.php:1640

Also, under Copyediting > upload file to step1, step2 or step3, I have the step 3 always inactive (greyed) !

By the way, may I suggest to number and order the publishing steps, like it is already done for the journal management setup?
That is:
1. Details. (1.1 general information, 1.2 principal contact,...)
2. Policies (2.1 Focus and scope....etc. ).
The steps here are numbered and easy to follow.
If there was the same ordering for the publishing process, it would be useful for the journal manager.
Publishing process is more important than journal skinning, so in my view much attention should be given to make it clear and logical.
But unfortunately in the current version of OJS, the publishing steps (reviewing, editing, copyediting..) are still daunting and confusing.
Personally, after many attempts I still struggling and confused each time I want to publish a test article or issue to see how it appears at the home page!
I feel that something is missing between the first and last steps of the publishing process. I don't see it easy follow up or intuitive guideline.
So, I'de like to suggest to number the editing and publishing steps in the order that they should be done:
1. Review (1.1... 1.2...) (maybe with option: Bypass reviewing?!)
2. Copyediting (2.1....2.2....) - (with option; Bypass copyeding ?)
3. Profreading (3.1....3.2.... ) - (Bypass Profreading ?)
4. Publish an issue (1.1 create issue..1.2. select the articles for the issue..).
5. Bypass the above steps and directly publish an issue - (5.1 select and add articles to the current issue ..).

It would be useful to be able to create and publish an issue directly without passing by the different steps, by offering the possibility to bypass the steps one-by-one, or all at once. This is particularly useful when the review process is done by emails, not via the online form.

Thank you
Ojser

Re: Fatal error: Call to a member function getUserVar()

Postby JasonNugent » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:05 am

Hi OJSer,

Your first issue, the fatal error, has been recorded as a bug in OJS 2.4.0 and a fix for it has been committed. It will be included in the 2.4.1 release, but if you'd like the patch for it now you can retrieve it from http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=7931

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby Ojser » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:35 am

Thank you, Jason.
Cool to here there will be a new release !
So, I may wait for it, if it is not so long before it comes out.
Do you have an expected date for OJS2.4.1 ?

Regards,
Ojser
Ojser

Postby JasonNugent » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:39 pm

Hi OJSer,

I don't think it will be long. And there will always be new releases for things, because software is never finished.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby Ojser » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:45 am

Thanks, Jason.
Ojser

Return to OJS Technical Support