OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Issues with "Notify Users" feature of OJS

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Issues with "Notify Users" feature of OJS

Postby shubhash » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:22 am

There are two parts of this message as they address two slightly different issues.

Part 1:

Currently I received over a hundred emails after a journal editor used the "notify user" feature of OJS. After investigating why that happened I found that for many articles where the author email is unavailable or irrelevant, my email address was entered as the author's email address. Note that the author's email address is mandatory in OJS, but the system does not check for duplicate email addresses. Although the lack of duplicate checking of author emails might be a bug or a loophole in OJS, it was a quite convenient "feature" for us that allowed using a generic email address in cases where the author's email address was not readily available.

So when the journal editor used the "notify users" option to announce the publication of a new issue, I received all those hundreds of duplicate emails as OJS did not check for duplicates when sending out the emails.

I think it would be nice if OJS checked for duplicate email addresses before sending out those notification emails.

Part 2:

I also noticed a second issue with the "notify users" feature. When there are a small number of users, this feature works quite well and can be useful. But it certainly is not a scalable feature when the number of users in the system is large. It appears that there is no any delay mechanism for sending out the emails. I found that the server tries to send out thousands of emails in a couple of minutes time span creating a situation not unlike Denial of Service attack. I would certainly like an option to disable the mass-mailing option in OJS interface because there are better suited tools and specialized service providers for mass mailing.
shubhash

Return to OJS Technical Support