OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Installation 500 Error

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Installation 500 Error

Postby nousernameswork » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:38 am

I have managed to get OJS working fine on my local machine (ubuntu 12.04). However, on my server (rh 2.6), it gives a 500 error as soon as I try to run the installation. I have enabled PHP and apache logs - nothing shows up in either place. I also enabled show_stacktrace and display_errors - still nothing, aside from a warning about time zones that it says it has corrected.

I can access the installation form just fine - it's when I try to install that I get the 500 error.

What are some common/possible causes of this to investigate?

Thank you!
nousernameswork

Re: Installation 500 Error

Postby Doki » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:05 pm

Not an expert on these things, but have you tried ensuring that the OJS directories have the proper access permissions? I know I get caught every once in awhile when I reset/reinstall my test server and forget to set the proper ownership on my directories. Specific ones that always get me are the public and cache directories:

sudo chown –R daemon ojs/public
sudo chown –R daemon ojs/cache
Doki

Postby nousernameswork » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:29 pm

Doki wrote:Not an expert on these things, but have you tried ensuring that the OJS directories have the proper access permissions? I know I get caught every once in awhile when I reset/reinstall my test server and forget to set the proper ownership on my directories. Specific ones that always get me are the public and cache directories:

sudo chown –R daemon ojs/public
sudo chown –R daemon ojs/cache

Thank you for the suggestion! Sadly, the same issue is still occurring. I have followed all the steps in the readme, but I am wondering if there is something wrong with my apache configuration.
nousernameswork

Postby Doki » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:10 pm

If you're sure all your chown and chmod commands have been run properly, try looking at your .htaccess file to see if there is anything in there that could cause problems. You can also temporarily remove the file (and access OJS using an alternate URL if needed) and see what happens. If you don't have an .htaccess file in your OJS directory (or you're sure its working properly), check through your parent directories to make sure a command in a parent .htaccess file isn't causing disruptions.

Typically, with 500 errors, its usually (at least for me) either a permission or an .htaccess issue. Outside of that, I'm stumped.

500 errors are always tricky things -- good luck.
Doki

Postby nousernameswork » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:10 pm

This was buried in the log:
Code: Select all
message: WARNING: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead\n  In file: /usr/app/ojs-2.3.7/lib/pkp/classes/core/Core.inc.php\n  At line: 91\n 

Edit: Doki, just saw your post. I will give that a try - thank you!
nousernameswork

Postby nousernameswork » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:00 pm

Sadly it is still not working. Are there any other php.ini settings or dependencies that aren't listed in the readme that I should change?
nousernameswork

Postby nousernameswork » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:55 pm

I found the problem a few days ago - figured I should come share it here in case someone else runs into the same problem.

I had installed php5 and mysql through yum, but I hadn't thought to install php-mysql for some reason. Just running a yum install php-mysql fixed it, and it's working perfectly now.
nousernameswork

Return to OJS Technical Support