OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Problem with email form in OJS

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Problem with email form in OJS

Postby shubhash » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:49 am

Tested on OJS 2.3.7.
There seems to be a strange problem with one of the email forms in OJS. When the editor clicks "Notify Author" link near the editorial decision drop-down menu, an email form appears with the email address of the author and body of the email pre-populated.

At the bottom of that form there is an option that says "After sending, present an editable BCC copy to send to reviewers".
When that checkbox is selected and that email is sent, another email form is presented with the reviewers' email address pre-populated in the BCC field. The problems I am describing pertain to this second email form.

Here are the problems:

1. This emails does not go out to the reviewers even though it appears that the email was successfully sent. Checking the log of the mail program (MTA) shows that there is a fatal error: "No recipient addresses found in message header".

Note that the same thing happens even if the email addresses are moved from the BCC field to the TO field before sending out the email.

2. There is also a second problem with this form. When any of the buttons "Add Recipient", "Add CC" or "Add BCC" is clicked, all the previously entered entries in the TO, CC, and BCC field are cleared. The body of the email is also cleared and replaced with an email template losing everything that was already there.

Are there any solutions or workarounds to those problems? Thanks.
shubhash

Re: Problem with email form in OJS

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:23 pm

Hi Shubhash,

Apologies for not getting back to you earlier on this one. I actually can't replicate either issue with a relatively up-to-date checkout of OJS stable. The emails are sent, and if I fill in the form or move an email address around and subsequently click a button, that information is persisted on refresh. Is this an upgraded version of OJS? This has also been semi-reported here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=7346. The issue may have been inadvertently fixed in our stable branch already, but I will ensure that this is tested and closed for the upcoming OJS 2.4 as well. It's probably best to CC yourself to Bug 7346 for immediate future updates.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Re: Problem with email form in OJS

Postby shubhash » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks James. I'll keep an eye out for the updates.
shubhash

Return to OJS Technical Support