OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Clarity on Pubmed Central Process

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Clarity on Pubmed Central Process

Postby profslug » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:52 am

I'm serving as a webmaster for an online journal that is considering moving to OJS (http://www.funjournal.org ). Our main goal is to achieve indexing in NLM Pubmed. To do this, however, online journals must first enroll in PubMed Central to ensure long-lasting access to online content.

I've established an OJS website and imported all our back issues using the XML import. I can see how the XMl export plugin can generate XML output per issue or article that complies with the indexing requirements for NLM Pubmed, and have validated this output with their validation tool. So that part seems great.

I'm a bit lost, however, on understanding what support OJS does or does not have for PubMed Central archiving of content (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/pub/pubinfo/), in which each article must be saved in XML following the Journal Publishing XML DTD (http://dtd.nlm.nih.gov/publishing). Here are my questions:
* Does OJS directly support export of articles in the correct format for PubMed Central?
* If so, what format should I be uploading the galleys for articles? We currently have pdf versions of all articles and can upload HTML full-text versions as well, but I am not completely clear on what types of galleys need to be in OJS in order to get an output suitable for PubMed central.
* Have any OJS users out there successfully used OJS to meet the requirements for PubMed Central archiving? If so, did you do it on your own or through a service?

Any help/pointers on this issue would be *much* appreciated. The NLM Pubmed part was really painless, but the documentation/discussion around PubMed Central has left me scratching my head. Thanks!

Bob
profslug

Re: Clarity on Pubmed Central Process

Postby Ojser » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:32 am

Hi,

Not to deceive you, but getting indexed in Pubmed is a long, very long route!
By the way, is your journal made with OJS?
Ojser

Postby profslug » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:55 am

Thanks for the reply. Indeed, getting to NLM Pubmed is arduous, and the majority of applicants are turned down. But I suppose it would be a lonely index if no one ever tried.

Our journal is currently run on a DIY site; it's about 10 years old. I've setup an OJS version and imported all our content. We're planning on making the switch over this summer.

Bob
profslug

Postby profslug » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:17 am

Ok - I can now see that there is no easy way to generate Journal Publishing XML for an article--looks like we'll either have to use a service or do it by hand.

Next question -- once an XML galley is created for an article, can OJS handle importing it and/or making the html galley automatically? Or do we need to contract out the creation of the xml, html, and pdf versions of each article?

Thanks,

Bob
profslug

Return to OJS Technical Support