OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Migration problem... with file_dir or PHP version?

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Migration problem... with file_dir or PHP version?

Postby NuovaCultura » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:35 am

Hi,

we're migrating from http://www.periodicomineralogia.it to another server with address http://www.nuovacultura.info/mineralogia.
Backup & import db MySql ok.
Backup & import files ok.

We have some problem with the files_dir that can't permit to display the homepage properly (no slideshow and sidebar with login).
Also problem with css files here!

Old config.inc.php settings:

Code: Select all
files_dir = "/var/www/vhosts/periodicodimineralogia.it/httpdocs/files"

In the new one:

files_dir = "/var/www/vhosts/nuovacultura.info/httpdocs/mineralogia/files"

Could be a file_dir problem because the images in the home got the url http://nuovacultura.info/index.php/mineralogia/manager/setup/img01_url
instead of http://nuovacultura.info/mineralogia/index.php/mineralogia/manager/setup/img01_url

Any suggestion? Thanks
Last edited by NuovaCultura on Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
NuovaCultura

Re: Migration problem with file_dir

Postby NuovaCultura » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:52 am

Update: can't login with usual username and password, but the DB is connected. Why?

Update2: password resetted and now I'm logged. Still no right sidebar in administration. :shock:
NuovaCultura

Re: Migration problem... with file_dir?

Postby asmecher » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:35 am

Hi NuovaCultura,

If your passwords don't work it's probably because your encryption setting (see config.inc.php in [security]) is different between the two installations.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby ramon » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:04 pm

Hello NuovaCultura,

If your PHP version is higher than 5.2.6, then, OJS 2.3.4 won't work correctly, probably because it was the version where the native PHP locale() function was added, conflicting with OJS's. Or maybe something entirely different, but it's the PHP version that is causing your sidebars to disappear.
You need to upgrade to 2.3.7, or downgrade PHP to 5.2.6.

Instituto Brasileiro de Informação em Ciência e Tecnologia - IBICT
Ministério da Ciência e Tecnologia - MCT
ramon

Postby NuovaCultura » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:17 am

asmecher wrote:Hi NuovaCultura,

If your passwords don't work it's probably because your encryption setting (see config.inc.php in [security]) is different between the two installations.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Both config are

encryption = sha1

Now I'm logged. I'm trying to change settings but are not displaying.
Last edited by NuovaCultura on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
NuovaCultura

Postby NuovaCultura » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:23 am

ramon wrote:Hello NuovaCultura,

If your PHP version is higher than 5.2.6, then, OJS 2.3.4 won't work correctly, probably because it was the version where the native PHP locale() function was added, conflicting with OJS's. Or maybe something entirely different, but it's the PHP version that is causing your sidebars to disappear.
You need to upgrade to 2.3.7, or downgrade PHP to 5.2.6.

The original installation was PHP version: 5.2.17, in the new server PHP version: 5.3.3.

OJS upgraded to version 2.3.7.0 but still no sidebar.

Finally I don't think it's a PHP version problem because on my local server (PHP version: 5.3.6) the OJS 2.3.4 sidebar was displaying.

May be PHP settings?
Last edited by NuovaCultura on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
NuovaCultura

Re: Migration problem... with file_dir or PHP version?

Postby asmecher » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:45 am

Hi NuovaCultura,

That installation appears to be modified so it'll be less predictable for us here to support. However, what are your settings for the layout in Journal Setup step 5? The sidebars are configured there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby NuovaCultura » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:22 am

That installation appears to be modified so it'll be less predictable for us here to support. However, what are your settings for the layout in Journal Setup step 5? The sidebars are configured there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi asmecher!

What do you mean with "installation appears to be modified"?

Sidebar settings in attachment.

Sidebar.JPG
Sidebar Settings - SETUP - Step 5.6
Sidebar.JPG (60.9 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
NuovaCultura

Postby asmecher » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:14 am

Hi NuovaCultura,

Thanks, those settings look fine. I shouldn't assume your installation is modified -- what I mean is the .tpl files, or perhaps .php -- but if it is, it'll be a little tougher for us to debug.

Did the upgrade process run smoothly? I wonder if the problem is that the last upgrade step, which installs plugin information in the "versions" table, didn't complete successfully.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby ramon » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:26 am

Hello NuovaCultura,

There are other things at play in your server.
There may be issues with permissions or other things.
I couldn't load the public page that displays your OJS version, nor any other pages in the About section of the journal, which may indicate other issues with your server, not necessarily OJS.

Check your server error logs to see what's going on.
I'm not sure if that PHP version published in the wrong place of the code may be breaking everything (not likely, though).
ramon

Postby NuovaCultura » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:29 am

Thanks, those settings look fine. I shouldn't assume your installation is modified -- what I mean is the .tpl files, or perhaps .php -- but if it is, it'll be a little tougher for us to debug.

Did the upgrade process run smoothly? I wonder if the problem is that the last upgrade step, which installs plugin information in the "versions" table, didn't complete successfully.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

No file modified by me. Don't know if past administrators worked on it, but I don't think so.
By local I upgraded with no problems, OJS is working properly. Uploaded on the new server I have problems wit sidebar and password encryption: even if logged, I can save settings but are not displaying on the site. (ex: I changed and saved navbar links but it displays old ones).
NuovaCultura

Postby asmecher » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:32 am

Hi NuovaCultura,

That's almost certainly a permissions problem in your cache/ directory. Try deleting all PHP files there (you can do this safely), then checking to make sure they're getting re-generated as you access the site.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby NuovaCultura » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:57 am

That's almost certainly a permissions problem in your cache/ directory. Try deleting all PHP files there (you can do this safely), then checking to make sure they're getting re-generated as you access the site.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thank you asmecher. That's the pain! I deleted all .php files, set "cache" folder on 777 and now the sidebar appears and OJS works!
What about security problems related to file permissions now?

Other problem: can't open some PDF articles with Chrome. I download but they seems corrupted. On Firefox works properly. Does it depends from file permissions? Which folder? :roll:
Attachments
108-460-1-SM-prova.pdf
Example of PDF unreadable
(1.22 MiB) Downloaded 48 times
NuovaCultura

Postby asmecher » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:39 am

Hi NuovaCultura,

There are lots of threads on permissions in this forum, and also a note in our FAQ if I recall correctly. In any case, 777 will work but it's risky. If you're on a multi-user server (which is almost certain) you're at risk from other users who are either malicious or lax about their own security.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support