OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Bluehost or PKP Hosting

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Re: Bluehost or PKP Hosting

Postby reflections » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:49 pm

I was wondering about Hexahost. Don't know about ixhost that you mentioned. I emailed HExahost but they didn't get back to me. Agree bluehost seems to be reliable.
reflections

Postby birkok » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:18 pm

Hexahost is an India company and their HQ is in there. Therefore I don't trust so much.
birkok

Postby jayfitzsimmons » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:01 am

This is good to learn about Hexahost and Bluehost (and to avoid ixwebhosting). Like Reflections, I found the OJS setup process to be a bit overwhelming in its technical expertise requirements. We were hosted by ExpertHost but transfered a few months ago to PKP and have had no problems ever since then. The main mistake we learned from was to make sure the server allows you to access the command line so you can do things yourself (e.g., install patches). Our server did not allow us access to the command line because apparantly the way they were set up that would have been a security vulnerability: command line allowed access to all of the server's customers' sites (if I understood correctly).

I might be setting up another journal with OJS soon - a journal with too small a budget to afford PKP hosting. I'll look into Bluehost and Hexahost at that time. Thanks birkok and reflections for posting your tips on servers.

Jay
www.canadianfieldnaturalist.ca
jayfitzsimmons

Postby reflections » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:26 pm

To finish this out, BlueHost worked fine, but we switched to Plenum Publishing Australia a small firm devoted to assisting OJS and OCS installations. Only negative on BlueHost is that it's policies don't permit you to back up on that site, as that is data storage not software insallation, so find alternative backup site.
reflections

Previous

Return to OJS Technical Support