OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Citation Markup Assistant not work if PATH_INFO disabled

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Citation Markup Assistant not work if PATH_INFO disabled

Postby prettypiggy » Thu May 24, 2012 1:43 am

Hello,

I'm working on an instance of OJS 2.3.7, and Citation Markup Assistant doesn't work on my site.

I discovered this is caused by the configuration of "disable_path_info" in config.inc.php file:
My configuration is "disable_path_info = On", everytime after I submit some references to an article, I see our citations in the "citations" table in the database, all newly records with a citation_state of "1". But if I set "disable_path_info = Off", all newly entered citations with a citation_state of "4".

Whether Citation Markup Assistant can only work in PATH_INFO environment? Can I modify some code to make it work while PATH_INFO is disabled?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Yue
prettypiggy

Re: Citation Markup Assistant not work if PATH_INFO disabled

Postby NoS » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:51 am

Hi,

Same problem here. Struggling with it since 2.3.8, now 2.4.4-1. I was always hopping one day an upgrade will solve this ...

Advice would be very much appreciated!
Regards,
Nora
NoS

Postby asmecher » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:32 am

Hi all,

FYI, the Citation Assistant is deprecated -- we'll be launching an XML parsing system in the near future that will take its place and offer a much more comprehensive transformation from source document into semantic XML. Meanwhile, if possible, I'd suggest working on getting your system running without path_info_disabled; that mode has other implications e.g. for the OAI interface.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby NoS » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:54 am

Hi Alec,

thank you for the very good news .. at least part of it, because I didn't know about other implications.

I admit I haven't been testing our OAI-PMH for a while (our journals are using OJS only as editing system, but that will change soon). And now, I see, it's not possible to request anything! I read through the forum and bugzilla but couldn't find anything about other implications. Would you kindly specify, please?

Unfortunately, enabling path_info is no option for our setup. We would have to migrate three running journals and install OJS from the scratch. So, the question is: what is more pain? Doing without CMA seems bearable, bur without OAI-PMH ...

Regards,
Nora
NoS

Postby asmecher » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:38 am

Hi Nora,

The path_info_disabled mode doesn't cause OAI to break entirely, but it does cause OAI to operate in a way that's slightly outside of the OAI specification. Some OAI tools will like this, others won't. Basically, it's because path_info_disabled makes use of request parameters instead of the PATH_INFO CGI variable in order to work around servers that don't support PATH_INFO. However, the OAI spec says that request parameters beyond the ones used by OAI itself are not allowed.

The path_info_disabled mode is not recommended -- not least because the URLs it produces are unwieldy. Generally it's only provided for users with low-end shared hosting. If you do have a chance to lean on your system administrator, getting it working shouldn't be much work.

Meanwhile, if you're interested in the XML transformation tool, it's currently in testing. Lean on Alex Garnett (see https://pkp.sfu.ca/about/people/) for more information.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support