OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Export function missing

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Export function missing

Postby Ojser » Fri May 18, 2012 3:33 am

Hi,

After I enabled the Translator plugin, I have the following error message:
The export function of this plugin has been deactivated because the configured tar binary cannot be found on this system. Please make sure that you have the tar program installed and then configure the path to the tar binary in config.inc.php's [cli] section!
How to recover Export function?
I searched similar posts having related issues but couldn't apply the fix provided! Is there a simpler way since the first post talked about this problem?
On other hand, what about if I continue the translation without the export function? Will I be able to make downloadable language files?

Thank you
Last edited by Ojser on Mon May 21, 2012 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ojser

Re: Export function missing in "Translator Plugin"

Postby JasonNugent » Fri May 18, 2012 11:32 am

OJSer,

You need to edit your config.inc.php file and correctly configure the tar command:

Code: Select all
; tar (used in backup plugin, translation packaging)
tar = /bin/tar

The export feature should work after that.

The default (/bin/tar) may not be where tar is on your server. If you're running Windows, you may have to install a set of external tools, outside of OJS, in order to get that working. For Windows, I suggest looking at Cygwin. http://www.cygwin.com/

Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby Ojser » Sat May 19, 2012 4:14 am

Thanks Jason. But I'm sorry, what do you mean by correctly edit the tar command?
I have exactly the same command as that you posted:
Code: Select all
; tar (used in backup plugin, translation packaging)
tar = /bin/tar

Sorry again, I don't know what to do with Cygwin, once it is installed, to fix the issue?

Thanks for

Regards,
Ojser
Ojser

Postby JasonNugent » Sat May 19, 2012 7:31 am

hi OJSer,

tar is a UNIX command that OJS needs in order to export translations. By default, OJS ships with the 'tar' setting in the config.inc.php file pointed at /bin/tar, which is a good guess, but it might not be where that application is actually installed on your server. If you don't have a tar command on your server, you won't be able to export translations. Cywgin provides a set of command line UNIX tools for Windows, including the tar command. You can install Cygwin on your server, and edit OJS' config.inc.php file and correctly point the 'tar' setting to where tar is actually installed.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby Ojser » Sat May 19, 2012 12:21 pm

Thank you Jason.
Ojser

Return to OJS Technical Support