OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Reviewing interests and Masthead

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Reviewing interests and Masthead

Postby theodore » Wed May 16, 2012 8:59 am

hello, i am new here!

is it possible to make showable to the others the Reviewing interests of user? for example, when click in the user profile in the masthead, to appear there?

In general, apart from the about region, I do not see the "common" way that we can click on any registered user name and see his profile... why is that?

thnx!
theodore

Re: Reviewing interests and Masthead

Postby jayfitzsimmons » Wed May 16, 2012 11:14 am

Hi Theodore,

There is an easy way to get some information to appear next to editors' names in the masthead. To do so you need to edit (as Journal Manager) each editor's user profile information. The information you include as the editor's affiliation will appear next to their name in the masthead. When a user clicks on an editor's name in the masthead, a pop-up will appear with their name, affiliation, and also the information in their user bio statement. So for our editors I include "Expertise: insects" (or whatever the editor's expertise is) which appears. You could also include their expertise in their affiliation section of their user profile so it would show up without having to click on their names.

You can see how this looks on our journal's masthead:
http://www.canadianfieldnaturalist.ca/index.php/cfn/about/editorialTeam

Jay
jayfitzsimmons

Postby theodore » Wed May 16, 2012 3:21 pm

thank for reply, Jay!
however, i do not get the following: why should i transmit the "Reviewing interests" section to the bio statement, just to be showable??
If so, what is the purpose of Reviewing interests section? i just want to make showable the Reviewing interests section to that pop-up window, without moving it to the bio-statement. Is this possible?

And why the only way to see a user's profile, is through masthead?? we can't see an author's profile for example in the "current" section by clicking on the article author's name??

I would prefer to be like this forum, where when you see my name anywhere, you can also see my profile by clicking on it.

cheers,
theo
theodore

Postby theodore » Tue May 22, 2012 7:49 am

hello again,
i try to make the reviewing interests appear to the user profile in the "about" section.
i see that the form is created by the AboutHandler.inc.php, but this file does not connect directly to the base to gather the args...

i guess that it is the "function editorialTeamBio($args)" that does the job, but it is more complex that i thought...
any help??

i just want to put an extra field
reviewing interests: BLAH BLAH BLAH
theodore

Postby jayfitzsimmons » Tue May 22, 2012 9:23 am

Hi Theodore,

I can't help you with modifying code to get reviewing interests viewable. But I can tell you the purpose of the reviewing interest section though. It is to search for suitable reviewers for manuscripts received. If you have many reviewers (dozens to hundreds) registered with your journal, being able to search by article keywords for suitable reviewers is useful. You also asked about being able to show authors' bio information for their articles - I think there is a plugin tool that shows authors' bio statements at the side of their articles' abstract page, but I've never used the plugin so I don't know much about it.

Jay
jayfitzsimmons

Return to OJS Technical Support