OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

pay-per-view v.s. individual subscription

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

pay-per-view v.s. individual subscription

Postby yhan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:58 pm

Could anyone educate me how OJS handles pay-per-view v.s. individual subscription?

I understand that OJS has a built-in feature to activate pay-per-view (i.e "Purchase Article" in "Fee Payment Options"). But the user still has to register and the subscription type does not have "pay-per-view". How can OJS ensure that the user who paid for article A does not have access to other articles?
yhan

Re: pay-per-view v.s. individual subscription

Postby michael » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:55 pm

Hi yhan,

The purchase article option allows readers to buy individual articles. This is useful for readers who don't have a subscription, but wish to access some of the subscription protected content.

In contrast, an individual subscription will give a reader access to all published articles.

Cheers,
Michael
michael

Postby yhan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:26 am

Michael,

Thank you for explanation. I understand the difference. My question is how OJS handles them differently.

What is the individual's status in the system? From what I found, the person who purchased an article still need a status of "active", but then an "active" person can read all the articles.

I am trying to understand the technical side.

Thanks much,
yhan

Postby michael » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi yhan,

A reader only needs to have an OJS user account in order to purchase an article. They do not need an active subscription record. Article purchases and subscriptions are stored separately in the database in different tables.

Cheers,
Michael
michael

Postby yhan » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:53 pm

Michael,

This helps a lot. Could you tell me which tables storing "user purchasing an article"?

I assume that users info are in table "users", paidPurchaseArticle stores "userId" and "articleId" in another table?
yhan

Postby michael » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi yhan,

You'll find purchased articles in the completed_payments table.

Please see OJSCompletedPaymentDAO::hasPaidPurchaseArticle in classes/payment/ojs/OJSCompletedPaymentDAO.inc.php for more information.

Cheers,
Michael
michael

Postby yhan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:22 pm

Michael,

Thanks much!
yhan

Return to OJS Technical Support