OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

"The Look" does not work anymore (/setup/5)

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

"The Look" does not work anymore (/setup/5)

Postby fabrcop » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:05 am

Hello.

"The look" setting page, that is .../manager/setup/5, does not work anymore: I just get an empty page. The other setup pages (1 to 4) do work.

I tried to create a new fake (test) journal, but "The look" does not work for this test journal, either.

The reason is because I tried to change the look, by modifying the original files and uploading them (definitely my fault).

What can I do? I hope I don't need to re-install the whole software. In that case (re-installing) can I save the existing data?

Thanks,

Fabrizio
Italy
fabrcop

Re: "The Look" does not work anymore (/setup/5)

Postby fabrcop » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:28 am

No suggestions?

Must I reinstall the whole software??

Thanks,

Fabrizio
Italy
fabrcop

Postby JasonNugent » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:38 am

Hi Fabrizio,

What did you change? If you're getting a blank page, there's probably a broken script or a broken template some where. Is there anything in your server logs that may help point you to the reason?

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby fabrcop » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:23 pm

Thanks Jason,

my purpose was to customize the look, but I edited the HTML code myself (instead of reading the instructions) and uploaded the new files, substituting the previous ones. Everything else works fine (with the new look) but changing "The look" is no more possible. The URL would be .../manager/setup/5 , but a blank page comes out.

(I don't know how to find the log files, but I will try, if there are no other suggestions).

Fabrizio
Italy
fabrcop

Postby fabrcop » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:25 pm

The situation is much better now, but not perfect.
All the themes work, and the "The Look" setup page works, provided I delete the folder night (Night Theme)!

If I keep the folder night there, not only the Night Theme does not work, but the same previous error occurs : I cannot get the /setup/5 page and change any theme.
If I delete the folder night, everything works fine, I can access the /setup/5 page and change the theme (chosen any from the other original ones).

So, I thought that there was an error in the current Night Theme files, and I downloaded the 4 original files of the folder night from
http://pkp.sfu.ca/cvs/cvsweb.cgi/ojs2/p ... =c#dirlist
and uploaded to the journal website.

Result: the same!
If the folder night is there, the "The Look" setup does not work. If I delete night, everything works fine.
The permission codes are the same as the working themes. Also, I can browse the night files and see no error.
Very strange.

In simple words, I have lost just one theme (night): not a big damage. However, if someone can suggest how to recover it, it would be perfect.

Thanks.

Fabrizio
Italy
fabrcop

Postby fabrcop » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:17 pm

Solved.

I searched and found the original theme folder (night) of my download version (2.3.6.0) and I uploaded it, but the error remained.
Then I had the idea to change the name of the theme, and it worked. Don't ask me why, I don't know.
I called it notte (Italian for night) and I changed the files and the content of the files accordingly (night --> notte , and Night --> Notte). I uploaded this folder notte and now it works, obviously with the Night Theme look. It's strange, but, for some mysterious reason, the software did not like anymore the folder called night. I really don't know why, but I don't care very much...

Fabrizio
Italy
fabrcop

Postby JasonNugent » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:02 am

Fabrizio,

Was the "Night" theme something you changed originally? I suspect that the reason why you're no longer seeing an error with the folder renamed is because OJS considers the new folder to be an uninstalled plugin and is ignoring it. The caveat here is that if you ever use the tools/upgrade.php script to update your OJS installation you may encounter this error again.

If the problem is occurring with the original Night theme from OJS 2.3.6 I'd really be interested in knowing what the error is. The Night theme works fine for me on my local OJS 2.3.7 installation.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby JasonNugent » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:05 am

Actually, wait -- perhaps I read your post too quickly. You're saying that the Night theme is working for you just by renaming the folder? Did you install it via the plugin management pages?

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby fabrcop » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:52 am

Hello,

of course, the Night theme was the one that I had modified (by directly editing the HTML/PHP files, as I described before).

Now everything seems to work fine, but to fix the software I made several random actions, that I don't even remember and can't describe.

However, the strange problem is that any theme called "Night" does not work now. But if I take the Night theme and change its name, it works! I have renamed the folder night into look. Of course, I had to change the name of a couple of files accordingly, and I also made a few changes inside the files: I just changed all the occurrences of Night or night (some in capital letters, some not) into Look and look, and it works. I imagine it should work with any other name instead of Night (excluding Night). But... I will not experiment anymore!

(I don't mention what journal is, because there is no issue yet).

My choice of the name "look" was not smart, since the feature itself is called "The Look". I also named "Look" the current theme, so, in the future, if someone else (not me) reviews the installed software, he (or she) will be probably confused.

Thanks for helping.

Fabrizio
fabrcop
Italy
fabrcop

Return to OJS Technical Support