OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Dates before 1902?

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Dates before 1902?

Postby mvluijt » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:45 am

Hi Guys,

I'm running into all kinds of trouble with back issues dating back to before 1902. OJS won't import those. A small hack did help, I got them imported but things like DOAJ export do not work properly. I am aware of the 32-bit UNIX date limit, which seems to affect me here, but I was hoping the OJS's use of ADODB would remove that limit.

So, the basic question is, does OJS support dates before 1902?

We're running a 32 bit PHP here, which may be the problem, and I may get an upgrade to 64 but I'll need some positive reinforcement...
OJS version of this install is 2.2.3

Thanks!

Best, Martin
mvluijt

Re: Dates before 1902?

Postby JasonNugent » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:06 pm

Yes, the 32 bit limit is a problem. Unix uses a signed 32-bit integer to store the unix timestamp, which limits you to:

MAX: 2147483647 = 2038-01-19 03:14:07 +0000
MIN:-2147483648 = 1901-12-13 20:45:52 +0000

An upgrade to a 64-bit OS will probably remove this limitation.

Regards,

ason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Re: Dates before 1902?

Postby MMeijer » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:44 am

Hi,
It turns out that OJS itself - nor ADODB - do have a problem with 32-bit Unix in relation to dates before 1902.
In fact, if a ADODB dateconversion function signals a problem, it just returns the date from the database as-is.
But: Smarty's date conversion (e.g. in /templates/editor/issues/backIssues.tpl) is NOT that smart, nor is the DOAJ plugin (see DOAJExportDom::formatDate()).
So, by some small adjustments in the templates and DOAJ plugin, and may be some other spots, one can live with 32bits ...

Cheers!
Maarten
MMeijer

Return to OJS Technical Support