OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Substitution problem with e-mail templates

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Substitution problem with e-mail templates

Postby szczuka » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:15 am

Hi,

The question I have may be a lame one, but I could not find the simple solution on the board.
I am experiencing problem with some e-mail templates, in particular those pertaining editor decision, e.g. "EDITOR DECISION ACCEPT".
The variables in emails are not substituted by their values resulting in e-mails like:
{$authorName}:
We have reached a decision regarding your submission to {$journalTitle},
"{$articleTitle}".
Our decision is to:
{$editorialContactSignature}
being sent to authors.
What is the likely source of this problem?
Also, I would like to ask why there are two seemingly identical instances of email templates that are associated with each of editor's decisions?
I am using OJS version 2.3.6

Marcin Szczuka
szczuka

Re: Substitution problem with e-mail templates

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:17 pm

Hi Marcin,

When/where exactly are you using the emails -- ie. are you sending them from the Prepared Email interface, or is this happening when you use the Prepared Email in the relevant review/editorial workflow? If it's the latter, and you bring up the prepared email to send (for example, when you click the Notify Author email icon at the bottom of a submission Review page), do you see the variables then, or the variable values?

And I'm not entirely sure what you mean by there being two identical instances of the editorial decision emails -- there should only be one EDITOR_DECISION_ACCEPT email, for example.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby szczuka » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:27 am

Hi James,

Answering the questions:

1. The problem occurs when I (or any of Editors) tries to use "Notify author". When e-mail appears it is populated with variables, not their values, just like in the example I brought.

2. The double appearance of some e-mail templates occurs when I, as a Journal Manager got to "Home > Journal Management > Prepared Emails" page. It looks like this (part of it):

EDITOR DECISION ACCEPT Mail Section Editor Author Editor Decision Edit | Reset

EDITOR DECISION ACCEPT Mail Section Editor Author Editor Decision Edit | Reset

EDITOR DECISION DECLINE Mail Section Editor Author Editor Decision Edit | Reset

EDITOR DECISION DECLINE Mail Section Editor Author Editor Decision Edit | Reset

the repeated entries look identical to me.

Thanks for reviewing this issue.
Regards

Marcin Szczuka
szczuka

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi Marcin,

When you use the email, have you already made your Editorial Decision?

Regarding the duplicate prepared emails: they definitely shouldn't be duplicated like you are seeing. Have you upgraded recently, or are you experiencing any other strange behaviour in your install?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby szczuka » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:18 am

Hi James,

The substitution problem was first reported by an editor who indeed posted the message before confirming the decision. However, after that I have made several experiments, and I can safely state that this is not a decisive factor.
Even in case of recorded decision, this problem does occur.
It has to be mentioned, that there are email templates in the system that work perfectly all right. I have no problems with typical tasks such as sending articles for review or acknowledgement of article submission.

As for an upgrade. I have indeed made an update fairly recently. It was a significant one, as I have jumped from 2.2.4 to 2.3.6 skipping few editions along the way. The update created few problems, but apart from the need of relocating some icons etc., everything went smoothly. It wasn't until one of editors complained that I have realised that there is a problem email templates. The "Editorial Decison" e-mail templates are not too frequently usedin our journals, that is why it took me a while to realise that there is a problem with them.

As for the repetitions on the list of tempaltes. I have examined those repeated entries and the look completely identical to me. However, I cannot remove them directly, as there is no "Remove" option for default templates.

Please advise.

Cheers
Marcin Szczuka
szczuka

Postby paul » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:53 am

I am having the same problem with the editor decision not being inserted into the email. Any solutions? Thanks.
paul

Postby asmecher » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:16 am

Hi Paul,

That is intentional; those emails are too critical for us to ship specific boilerplate for each. Use the Journal Manager's "Prepared Emails" interface to add specific text for each type of decision.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby paul » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:15 pm

Did you mean I could modify the template to have the editor ecision automatically inserted into the email?
paul

Postby paul » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:00 am

I just checked the current editor decision templates. Now I understand what you meant.

There are a number of them. I have two questions:

1. Do I have to revise each of them? I would think there should be a global editor decision email.
2. If I have to revise each of them, could you provide a list of the variable names for different decisions to be put inside the {$variableName}.

Thanks.

Paul
paul

Postby asmecher » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:11 am

Hi Paul,

We deemed these emails too important to share a single generic temlate. You'll have to edit each (though of course you could use the same text).

The parameters for these email templates are...
  • {$editorialContactSignature}
  • {$authorName}
  • {$journalTitle}
  • {$articleTitle}
  • {$articleId}
  • {$journalName}
  • {$sectionName}
  • {$articleAbstract}
  • {$authorString}
  • {$journalUrl}
  • {$journalName}
  • {$principalContactSignature}
Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby paul » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:17 am

Thanks for the prompt response. I don't see the ones for editor decisions.
paul

Postby asmecher » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:41 am

Hi Paul,

They're named EDITOR_DECISION_ACCEPT, EDITOR_DECISION_REVISIONS, EDITOR_DECISION_RESUBMIT, and EDITOR_DECISION_DECLINE.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby paul » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:38 am

All upper-case? Thanks.
paul

Postby asmecher » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:53 am

Hi Paul,

That's the way they're stored in the database, yes, though they'll be presented in the list with "_" replaced by spaces (" ") for readability. Are you creating these manually? They should already exist, though with minimal placeholder text.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby paul » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:47 pm

Hi Alec,

There may be misunderstanding here. What I like to be able to do is to revise the template so that editor's decision will be automatically inserted into the prepared emails. Here is an example for editor decision - revision required:
Code: Select all
{$authorName}:

We have reached a decision regarding your submission to {$journalTitle}, "{$articleTitle}".

Our decision is to:

{$EDITOR_DECISION_REVISIONS}

{$editorialContactSignature}

I need the correct code for "{$EDITOR_DECISION_REVISIONS}" line in order to display the decision.

Paul
paul

Next

Return to OJS Technical Support