OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

View Report - counting pdf views and article view inline pdf

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

View Report - counting pdf views and article view inline pdf

Postby uko » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:21 am

Hi all,

I discovered an issue with pdfobject and counting of pdf views in table article_galley when browsing with Firefox.
On article/view/articleId/galleyId with inline pdf: Each time using fullsize ON / Off a get request is called ('viewFile/articleId/galleyId'). Because pdf-view is incremented when requested 'viewFile ...' the counter is incorrect, and provides wrong user statistics therefore. I compared the report, generated by OJS, with the server log-file. My testcase shows significant differences.

I have no idea if it is a matter/bug of FF or of pdf-plugin or any other thing of jquery. Multiple get request only occurs in FF, not in Chrome or IE, I tested for comparing this behaviour.
Can anyone replicate it and confirm my observation, or is this only a strange behaviour within my test enviroment?

(It seems it would be more stable when counting pdf-views at first request of view/articleId/galleyId, see function view in ArticleHandler, not viewFile as it is in function viewFile in ArticleHandler. However, I am not gone deeper in source code (and I am not an expert), therefore, I know nothing about dependencies when code would be changed.)

Regards,
Ute
--
test enviroment:
OJS 2.3.3.3 resp OJS 2.3.6.0 ,
win7 resp win server 2003,
php 5-2-9-2,
apache 2.2.11,
FF 7.0.1 ( with Adobe PDF-Plugin, vers 10.1.1.33) resp FF 3.6.10 with Adobe PDF-Plugin, vers 9.4.5.236 , IE8 ( with Adobe PDF Reader vers 10.1.1.33), chrome( with own integrated pdf viewer),
---
uko

Re: View Report - counting pdf views and article view inline pdf

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:12 pm

Hi Ute,

Thanks for the report! I've replicated this and have filed it as a bug report at http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6946. I've added a bit more debugging information to the report as well. Please feel free to CC yourself to that report for future updates, and/or contribute any other ideas or testing to that report or this forum thread.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Re: View Report - counting pdf views and article view inline

Postby kreissaege » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:32 am

Hello,
we are using this statistics too.
Is there a workoround for this bug? When the bug would be fixed?
Best regards
K. Bretschneider

UPDATE 4.7.2012
I have tested on IE8, Opera 11.61 and Firefox 9.0.1 and on all Browsers are different behaviour to count the views in article_galleys table.
On Opera it was correct; on IE after clicking on the pdf-link (to go to the inline pdf-view site) the value increases +2 (!), but the clicks on FULLSCREEN and FULLSCREEN OFF did not increase the views anymore. On Firefox I had the same behaviour as Ute described.
kreissaege

Return to OJS Technical Support