OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

In system review (no uploaded file) not linked for author

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

In system review (no uploaded file) not linked for author

Postby soj » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:35 pm

Here is my problem: Two of three reviewers uploaded their reviews as Word docs, while the third opted to use the web site form field. Now, Editors can see links to all three reviews in the page for the paper, but the author can only see links for the reviews that were uploaded as files. No link appears for the third review.

Any ideas? TIA!

Thanks! soj
http://www.ejssm.org
soj

Postby asmecher » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:31 am

Hi Soj,

The Reviewer has the option of entering comments in one of two fields -- "For author and editor" or "for editor". It's most likely that the reviewer wrote their comments in the "for editor" field, and the Author therefore can't see them. To make these comments visible to the Author, the Reviewer or Editor will need to paste them into the "For author and editor" field.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby soj » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:45 am

I have logged in as reviewer for the paper. This review is no longer listed as active. It's in the archive now - I assume that is why I'm not seeing the option to add comments, only an icon link to the comments he has already posted. Is there some way to return this review to active?

TIA again! soj
soj

Postby asmecher » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:00 am

Hi soj,

Once the Reviewer has marked the Review as complete, it can't be modified or re-opened. The Editor will have to copy the comments into the "For editor and author" field.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby soj » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:43 am

I'd love to do that, but am not given the option to allow author to view the comment from the Editor/Review page. Here's a screenshot:

http://ejssm.org/screenshot.jpg

See Reviewer B

Thanks! soj
soj

Postby asmecher » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:01 pm

Hi Soj,

I hope you're not accidentally revealing reviewer names with that screenshot!

I was going to suggest editing the comments in the pop-up, but the review is closed, which disallows editors and reviewers both from editing comments. At this point, to make the review visible to the Author, you'd have to go into the database. (If you'd like to pursue this, I can provide instructions.)

However, you can work around this as follows: when, as Editor, you Notify Author, you'll be taken to a page where you can compose an email to the Author containing the editorial decision. There's a button to allow you to import the reviews; this won't contain the comments by the reviewer in question, but you can paste them in at this point.

I'll point your situation out to the team for possible attention in a future release.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby soj » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:40 pm

Hi Alec! No worries. Our journal has opted out of any type of blind reviews - everything is above board; reviewers are revealed and accessible from the get-go.

If you could instruct me regarding the DB, I would appreciate it. Also if you could tell me which template I might modify to somehow highlight the option "let both author and editor view," it may help to avoid this issue in the future.

Thanks!

soj
soj

Postby asmecher » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:32 pm

Hi Soj,

You can find the appropriate comment ID with the following:
Code: Select all
SELECT comment_id FROM article_comments WHERE LOWER(comments) LIKE LOWER('%Here is some text that appears in the review%');
Once you've determined the correct comment ID, you can make it visible to the author with:
UPDATE article_comments SET viewable=1 WHERE comment_id = 722;
...replacing, of course, the number 722 with your comment ID.

The template in question (with the "For editor and author" and "For editor" fields) is "templates/submission/comment/peerReviewComment.tpl".

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby soj » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:00 pm

Hmmmmm - ran the queries, everything ran fine, verified that the comment is set to viewable (1) in the DB. However, it is still not showing up for the author. I cleared the caches too, jic.

I'm stumped ...

Of note, perhaps, is the fact that the comment output page does actually state "for author and editor" in the left hand column. This was so even prior to the DB mods.
soj

Postby soj » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:57 pm

In case anyone else finds this useful:

I've added some html and text to the template in question (with the "For editor and author" and "For editor" fields), "templates/submission/comment/peerReviewComment.tpl" to hopefully clarify which field to use for reviewers.

Find

<a name="new"></a>
{include file="common/formErrors.tpl"}

and replace the table after with this table:

<table class="data" width="100%">
<tr valign="top">
   <td class="label">{fieldLabel name="commentTitle" key="submission.comments.subject"}</td>
   <td class="value"><input type="text" name="commentTitle" id="commentTitle" value="{$commentTitle|escape}" size="50" maxlength="100" class="textField" /></td>
</tr>
<tr valign="top">
   <td class="label">{fieldLabel name="authorComments"}{translate key="submission.comments.forAuthorEditor"}<br>
        <i><font color="#993300"><br>
        Use this field if you wish to share your comment with both the Author
        and the Editor.</font></i></td>
   <td class="value"><textarea id="authorComments" name="authorComments" rows="10" cols="50" class="textArea">{$authorComments|escape}</textarea></td>
</tr>
<tr valign="top">
   <td class="label">{fieldLabel name="comments"}{translate key="submission.comments.forEditor"}<br>
        <i><font color="#993300"><br>
        Use this field if you wish to share your comment with the Editor only.</font></i></td>
   <td class="value"><textarea id="comments" name="comments" rows="10" cols="50" class="textArea">{$comments|escape}</textarea></td>
</tr>
</table>
soj

Bug?

Postby soj » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:18 pm

soj wrote:Hmmmmm - ran the queries, everything ran fine, verified that the comment is set to viewable (1) in the DB. However, it is still not showing up for the author. I cleared the caches too, jic.

I'm stumped ...

Of note, perhaps, is the fact that the comment output page does actually state "for author and editor" in the left hand column. This was so even prior to the DB mods.

I tried out posting comments in the "For author and editor" field on test document still sitting in editing and have the same issue there also. Could this be a bug?

soj
soj

Postby asmecher » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:00 pm

Hi Soj,

I'm discussing this situation with the team at the moment -- will get back to you shortly with our decision. Basically, comments that are marked "For editor and author" (as opposed to just "For editor") can be imported into an email for the Author under the Editor Decision section, but there's currently no way for the reviewer to access the individual comments before that point. Stay tuned...

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby soj » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:12 pm

Thanks! Will do.

We are mainly not certain just how to go about responding to the review in question through the system.

soj
soj

Bump plus question re:cleared reviewer

Postby soj » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:57 pm

Hi! I was wondering if the team had any more thoughts regarding the issue above.

ALSO, one more question: if, in the second round of reviews, we clear one of the Round 1 reviewers (because he did not wish to see the article again), will his review still remain recorded alonside the article?

Thanks! soj
soj

Postby John » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:12 am

Sj
The editor will have access to previous rounds of the review, through the link Regrets, Cancels, Previous Rounds on the submission's Review page. If the editor thinks reviewers for the next round should see these reviews, these reviews can be pasted into emails to the reviewers (that is, we do not have this built into the process, at this point).
John

Return to OJS Technical Support