OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Install plugin get tar command not available

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Install plugin get tar command not available

Postby sorrel » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:33 am

I knew it's a stupid question, but I really don't know where my tar command is and don't know where to command "which tar" on my server either. I am using WAMP. Could anyone being kind to tell me how to set this tar thing right in my config.ini.php or where can I get the tar command software so I could install new plugin. I have been Googleing for tar command, windows, wamp and end up getting 7-zip....I am not sure which one is my answer.

Thank you for your time!

Wendy
sorrel

Re: Install plugin get tar command not available

Postby JasonNugent » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:21 am

Hi Wendy,

'which' is a UNIX command line command that will give you the full path to a command when you're looking for it. It makes sense that it isn't working for you in your case, since it's not a Windows (WAMP) utility.

When ever I've had issues with finding command line utilities for Windows, especially for things like this, I usually install the Cywgin shell environment. When installed, it gives you a full set of UNIX/Linux command line utilities (including tar), usually in a C:\Cygwin directory. It can be downloaded for free here:

http://www.cygwin.com/

All you'd probably need is the base setup.exe from that site, and then just install the "base" set of tools. You'll have tar and everything else you'll need in about 5 minutes after that. You'll probably have a C:\Cygwin\bin directory afterwards if you install with the default settings.

Regards,

Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby sorrel » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:18 pm

Ooh! Lala! Thank you Jason for not ignoring my stupid question and being so kind. I did as you instructed (install cygwin). I got the address "/usr/bin/tar" and used this in the config.ini.php after commanding "which tar" in cygwin. However, I still get

Errors occurred processing this form:
The tar command is not available. Please correctly configure it in your "config.inc.php".

When I try to install new plugin under

Home > User > Journal Management > Plugin Management > Install A New Plugin.

In fact, I found out that there is a tar under "D:\cygwin\bin\tar".
So, I tried
tar = D:\cygwin\bin\tar
tar = "D:\cygwin\bin\tar"
tar = D://cygwin/bin/tar
tar = /cygwin/bin/tar
tar = "/cygwin/bin/tar"
tar = /usr/bin/tar

All of them get the same massage: The tar command is not available. Please correctly configure it in your "config.inc.php".
What can I do now????

Thank you in advance!
sorrel

Postby JasonNugent » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi Wendy,

Just a quick comment first, I suppose -- the line in your config.inc.php which specifies the path to tar doesn't have a semi-colon in front of it, does it? I just want to make sure that the line isn't commented out. Lines that start with semi-colons are ignored when the config file is examined by OJS.

Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby JasonNugent » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:51 pm

Hi Wendy,

I think the one command you didn't mention might be the one you need. Can you try:

tar = D:/cygwin/bin/tar

(with just one slash after D:)

Cheers,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby sorrel » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:11 pm

How thoughtful and speedy problem solver you are. I thought I would get a step each day and try a little step forward day by day. Din't expect to get another answer so soon. I did forget to remove the semi-colon before, but I learned my lesson this time. So, it's note the issue here. I tried

tar = D:/cygwin/bin/tar

Didn't work. Actually it's "tar = C:/cygwin/bin/tar" this time because I change another computer and install cygwin under C this time. The plugin I am trying to install is the Citeby.gz. It's not .tar.gz file. Could that be the reason.
Need another solution! Or is there any other manual way to install the plugin?

Thank you so much for the speedy reply!

Wendy
sorrel

Postby JasonNugent » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:48 am

Hi Wendy,

Hmmm. The CiteBy plugin is probably incorrectly named. If it has the file name of CiteBy.gz, it will probably not upload correctly. New versions of OJS expect a plugin to have a file name ending in .tar.gz. Can you try renaming the file to CiteBy.tar.gz and then re-uploading it?

If that fails, you can certainly do a manual installation from the command line. You can place the CiteBy.gz file in your plugins/generic directory and expand the file there, and then add a record to a table in your database indicating that the plugin is now installed. Let's see if a file rename works first, though.

Cheers,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby sorrel » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:06 am

Thank you Jason! You are God to me now even though I end up install the plugin manually. Actually I tried once. Just put in the wrong folder (the plugin folder not the generic folder) and it shows up in the DB automatically. I did it again on the Mathjax plugin. Da Da! Works....Thank you!
sorrel

Postby theodore » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:39 am

hello, for me same error:

Errors occurred processing this form:
•The tar command is not available. Please correctly configure it in your "config.inc.php".

i contacted the webhost and told me that:

"the path in config.inc.php for tar is correct. it could be wrong settings concerning disable_functions in php.ini or safe mode. it is better to find exact specifications for config.inc.php just to be sure (any changes for safe mode on/off, open base dir on/off etc)"

anything more specific about config.inc.php??

regards,
theo
theodore

Postby fivos » Fri May 16, 2014 4:40 am

Hi everybody,

I have to questions:
1) I use xampp and i am trying to install my Generic Plugin. I have compressed it as customView.tar.gz file. Then, i select the plugin file and after i press 'Continue' button, occurs the following error:
The tar command is not available. Please correctly configure it in your "config.inc.php".

I have checked my OJS-2.4.3 "config.inc.php" file. The lines from that file that refer to 'tar' are the following:
Code: Select all
; tar (used in backup plugin, translation packaging)
tar = /bin/tar

What could be wrong?

2) Till now i was installing my Generic Plugin to OJS, by copying the plugin file to the Generic Plugin subdirectory in my OJS installation. But because my plugin creates a table in the OJS database,
i had to run the "php tools/upgrade.php upgrade" command in order to be the table created in the database. How could i install my generic plugin without having to run "php tools/upgrade.php upgrade" command?

Thank you in advance!
fivos

Postby JasonNugent » Fri May 16, 2014 6:26 am

Hi fivos,

Have you checked to see where your tar command is located? If you're on a XAMPP installation, open up a terminal and try running 'which tar'. If it is actually in the /bin directory, then it may not be the GNU tar command and thus might be lacking a flag that enables it to correctly decompress gz before untarring.

Cheers,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby fivos » Fri May 16, 2014 9:00 am

Thank you Jason for your immediate answer!

I seem to have exactly the same problems with "sorrel" who created this post.
I work in Windows, installed 'cygwin' and run the command 'which tar', which gives the following address "/usr/bin/tar", which i used in the 'config.ini.php'.
I also tried tar = C:\cygwin64\bin\tar , which is the exact address where tar command is located in my pc, but the error remains the same.

What else could be wrong?

Thank you!

(In ubuntu i have no problem installing my plugin)
fivos

Postby JasonNugent » Fri May 16, 2014 10:56 am

Hey fivos,

Anything in your Apache log? A permission denied error, or a file not found? Can the apache user run the tar command? is your XAMPP installation running in a jailed configuration? Does your tar file contain the exact directory name as the tar file?

Just some other things to check

Cheers,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Return to OJS Technical Support