OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

layout and style problem with OJS 2.3.6

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

layout and style problem with OJS 2.3.6

Postby paul » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:34 am

I installed OJS 2.3.6. Strange behavior was observed:

1. The installation page lost the usual layout and color scheme. It showed as a plain page with menus mostly being displayed vertically.
2. After installation, I checked the permission of all folders. Most of them except those I modified prior to installation, did not allow others to Read and Execute. So I changed the permission on templates and styles. Now I got the default greenish color for the top bar. The layout looks a little better. However, the Navigation Bar is stilled displayed vertically. I made all other folders Read and Execute. But it didn't help. See the image attached.

I have been using the older version for several years and I don't believe I need to modify the permission property for all folders in order to see correct display.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
nav-bar.jpg
nav-bar.jpg (27 KiB) Viewed 3289 times
paul

Re: layout and style problem with OJS 2.3.6

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:17 pm

Hi Paul,

Any chance you could share a link to the 2.3.6 site with us to take a look at? You may also want to double-check that all files were fully and properly uploaded; including, of course, the files that should be in your styles/ directory.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby paul » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Hi James,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Here is the link. I believe I have all the files installed. What I did was downloading the compressed file to my computer, uploading to my web server, extracting/decompressing the file using file manager on my web control panel, modifying permissions of a few folders/files as instructed, applying patches, and running the installation script. I don't see I would miss any files. By the way, I installed, deleted, and reinstalled many times with some variations of the installation parameters. It didn't help.

http://www.abepublishing.org/journals/

Paul
paul

Postby CFreire » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:38 am

Hi James, Hi Paul:

Because the problem repeats itself, in the same (exactly!) conditions described by Paul, reinforcing it with another link:

http://www.topdesk.art.br/espacoaberto/

Cheers, Carlos
CFreire

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:46 am

Hi all,

Check your file permissions; the file lib/pkp/styles/pkp.css, and possibly others, are returning permission denied errors. (You can most easily track this kind of problem down by looking at your web server's access or error logs.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby paul » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:03 am

Hi Alec,

The problem solved. Thank you so much. A couple more questions:

1) why did this happen in the first place? I would think the folders and files in the package should have appropriate permission.
2) Is is OK to make the entire "lib" folder Read and Execute by others? Or for this matter, all the folders?

Once again, I appreciate your assistance very much.

Paul
paul

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:35 am

Hi Paul,

1) OJS doesn't ever try to adjust its own file permissions, so it must've been the way you unpacked the files. It's possible that tar preserves permissions when updating existing files from a tarball, but respects the tarball's internal permissions when creating new files, so if some files already existed before you updated and others were created anew, they might have different permissions.

2) Read and Execute by others should both be fine for everything; you might want to consider your cache, submission files, public, and config.inc.php directories/files separately as they contain journal content and configuration information that you may want to keep private.

Best practices will differ depending on how your server is configured and what access you have, so it's tough for us to give comprehensive recommendations on file permissions.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby paul » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:45 am

Hi Alec,

Thanks for the answers. What are the recommended permission settings for your cache, submission files, public, and config.inc.php directories/files after installation? A few folders and files were set to writable by others as required for installation. What should I do with those folders and files?

Paul
paul

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:02 am

Hi Paul,

As I mentioned before, it's hard to give concrete recommendations because server configurations vary so widely. However, it should never be necessary to give others write access. You'll have to find out what user account your server executes PHP scripts under, then either make that user the owner of the various pieces of data it needs to write, or put it in a group that has sufficient privileges. Note that a basic mod_php configuration, which is common but executes all PHP scripts on the server with the same account, is inherently risky and we'd recommend something like a FastCGI configuration which can execute PHP scripts setuid.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby paul » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:32 am

Hi Alec,

I am sorry I am coming back to the stupid question. According to the installation instruction:

2. Make the following files and directories (and their contents)
writeable (i.e., by changing the owner or permissions with chown or
chmod):

* config.inc.php (optional -- if not writable you will be prompted
to manually overwrite this file during installation)
* public
* cache
* cache/t_cache
* cache/t_config
* cache/t_compile
* cache/_db

No mention how these files/folders' permission should be changed in the instruction. If I change the permission for others to Read and Execute only after installation, will this affect the program's normal performance?

Thanks.

Paul
paul

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:43 am

Hi Paul,

The same permissions should work for all of those locations. The best way to test is by uploading a submission file; if it uploads, then OJS has enough access to work.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby paul » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:47 am

Hi Alec,

Thanks for your patience. I will try a submission. My concern is compromised security if those files/folders are left with the writable permission.

Paul
paul

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:55 am

Hi Paul,

Just to clarify -- the permissions require to install OJS are the same as those required to run it, with the possible exception of making config.inc.php read-only to whatever user PHP scripts run with once the installation process is complete. OJS will require the ability to write to those directories henceforth, but that shouldn't be a security risk if your permissions are set properly. It shouldn't ever be necessary to set anything world-writable.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby paul » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:01 am

Hi Alec,

This is exactly what I would like to know. Thank you.

Paul
paul

Return to OJS Technical Support