OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Registering of New Users

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Registering of New Users

Postby apsc » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:59 am

When ever I try to add a new user into OJS, I will get a blank display on my screen. For the rest of the options of inserting new journel entries I dont think I have met with muich problem. But as of now I am experimenting the software as a whole.

So I am wondering if the database is posing a problem, is there any bug or procedure which I may had lacked during the installations?
apsc

Postby asmecher » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:06 am

Hello apsc,

Two things to check:
  • Are your compiled templates (and the directory they reside in) writable by the web server? Check cache/t_compile/*.php.
  • Is your web server logging any error messages? PHP won't always display them on the screen, depending on how it's configured.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby apsc » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:53 pm

Hey, thanks Alec for the swift reply!

I updated the access rights and did some checks on my web server log. It was the problem that the database wasnt able to "connect". Anyway, with your advice I managed to solve the problem and the linkages are up when i restarted the Apache server too!

As of now, I hit another pit. It seems that the html pages I am viewing displays the "#<variable>#". Meaning the variable contents are not displayed but the NAME of the variable itself is. I am not too sure whats the problem and wonder if you can shine some light?

Maybe its the perl ?

One example : ##user.role.managers## is shown instead of managers

THANKS!
apsc

Postby asmecher » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:34 pm

Hello apsc,

The ##symbolic.name## strings you're seeing are localization keys; they are displayed when the localized string itself couldn't be fetched. There are a few causes for this:
  • A missing key in the locale file (not likely in your case)
  • Web server cannot write to cache or cache/*
  • Web server cannot read from locale file (e.g. locale/en_US/locale.xml)

Check your file permissions and see which of the above is causing the problem.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby apsc » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:54 pm

I've checked on the access rights of the directory and files you've mentioned which neither of the files violated the corrections you recommended in the first place.

Further checks onto my WEBSERVER error log, i received messages stating of php warnings e.g.:
PHP warning: xml_parser_set_option(): supplied argument is nto a valid XML Parser resource in /var/www/html/open_journal_system/classes/xml/XMLParser.inc.php on line 139, refer: ________

what perturb me is that previously I mentioned of unable to link up the database to retrieve and add new users but I was able to retrive the localized strings. When the database connection once up, I lose the localized strings?

Thanks
apsc

Postby asmecher » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:03 pm

Hi apsc,

Are you using a valid encoding name for the client_charset directive in the config.inc.php configuration file? Could you include the other error messages, if there are any?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Web Server Error Log contents

Postby apsc » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:55 pm

[Wed Mar 08 11:46:07 2006] [notice] Apache/2.0.54 (Fedora) configured -- resuming normal operations
[Wed Mar 08 11:51:17 2006] [error] [client 10.20.1.16] File does not exist: /var/www/html/open_journal_source
[Wed Mar 08 11:51:18 2006] [error] [client 10.20.1.16] File does not exist: /var/www/html/favicon.ico
[Wed Mar 08 11:51:31 2006] [error] [client 10.20.1.16] File does not exist: /var/www/html/open_source_journal
[Wed Mar 08 11:51:32 2006] [error] [client 10.20.1.16] File does not exist: /var/www/html/favicon.ico
[Wed Mar 08 11:51:37 2006] [error] [client 10.20.1.16] Directory index forbidden by rule: /var/www/html/
[Wed Mar 08 11:51:37 2006] [error] [client 10.20.1.16] File does not exist: /var/www/html/favicon.ico
[client 10.20.1.16] PHP Warning: xml_parser_create() [<a href='function.xml-parser-create'>function.xml-parser-create</a>]: unsupported source encoding &quot;utf8&quot; in /var/www/html/open_journal_system/classes/xml/XMLParser.inc.php on
line 138
[client 10.20.1.16] PHP Warning: xml_parser_set_option(): supplied argument is
not a valid XML Parser resource in /var/www/html/open_journal_system/classes/xml/XMLParser.inc.php on line 139
[client 10.20.1.16] PHP Warning: xml_parser_set_option(): supplied argument is
not a valid XML Parser resource in /var/www/html/open_journal_system/classes/xml/XMLParser.inc.php on line 140
[client 10.20.1.16] PHP Warning: xml_parse_into_struct(): supplied argument is
not a valid XML Parser resource in /var/www/html/open_journal_system/classes/xml/XMLParser.inc.php on line 107
[client 10.20.1.16] PHP Warning: xml_parser_free(): supplied argument is not a
valid XML Parser resource in /var/www/html/open_journal_system/classes/xml/XMLParser.inc.php on line 149
[Wed Mar 08 11:52:16 2006] [error] [client 10.20.1.16] File does not exist: /var/www/html/favicon.ico

above are the excerpts of the error log that I recieved. Any help?
apsc

Postby asmecher » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:37 pm

Hi apsc,

Yes, those log entries help -- you should be using "utf-8" in your config.inc.php under client_charset, not "utf8". Hopefully that'll clear the problems up.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby apsc » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:52 pm

; Default locale
locale = en_US

; Client output/input character set
client_charset = utf8

; Database connection character set
; Must be set to "Off" if not supported by the database server
; If enabled, must be the same character set as "client_charset"
; (although the actual name may differ slightly depending on the server)
connection_charset = utf8

; Database storage character set
; Must be set to "Off" if not supported by the database server
database_charset = utf8

This is a slice of my current config.inc.php which I am now using the utf8 setting for the client_charset. As adviced, I changed the client_charset variable to the correct utf-8 and it did smoothen out the "##".

With that comes another problem, OJS is unable to read the database or more like the connectivity is broken.

[client 10.20.1.180] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /var/www/html/open_journal_system/classes/xml/XMLParser.inc.php on line 118, referer: http://btpt02.bossard.com.sg/open_journ ... rial/login
[client 10.20.1.180] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /var/www/html/open_journal_system/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 811, referer: http://btpt02.bossard.com.sg/open_journ ... rial/login
[client 10.20.1.180] PHP Warning: Unknown: A session is active. You cannot change the session module's ini settings at this time. in Unknown on line 0, referer: http://btpt02.bossard.com.sg/open_journ ... rial/login
[client 10.20.1.180] PHP Warning: Unknown: A session is active. You cannot change the session module's ini settings at this time. in Unknown on line 0, referer: http://btpt02.bossard.com.sg/open_journ ... rial/login

I dont think these error log message can help in any sense as I was toggling the "-" of the utf during my log in which is then I found out that if I can rid of the "##" i will lose my data, to have my data I will have to bear with the variables instead. Is there any other settings which I missed out ? Or is it my database does not support utf-8?
apsc

Postby asmecher » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:16 pm

Hi apsc,

You should definitely be using utf-8, not utf8; the error messages you're encountering now are another problem. See viewtopic.php?t=670 for information on increasing your system's memory_limit.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby apsc » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:52 pm

Hey Alec!

I've managed to solve my database lost thingy... most prob that I delete files residing in my journal directory which reflected on the blanks screens I received.

Restarted on adding of new entries and now everythings seems to flow smoothly. Appreciate the professional replies and technical supports. Thanks !
apsc

Return to OJS Technical Support