OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Editing Process Information Incomplete

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Editing Process Information Incomplete

Postby hekutoru2kx » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:37 pm

This is one of a kind problem. I'll explain it better because the title doesn't help too much.

The image shows what is happening. I changed the language to make it easier for you ;).

I have several submissions with that problem. But is one in a kind like I said previously. I'm not the editor nor author of the journals, but is my duty to help them solve those problems :P.

We were using previously the ojs 2.2.2 and we updated the ojs to the latest version 2.3.3-3 two weeks ago. Editors are digitalizing old journals to the platform, but the editors were doing it in an odd way. They practically created the submissions and finished the process without uploading any file (first adding the journals information to haste the process and uploading the layouts once ready). Now, after updating, when they tryed to access the submissions to upload the layouts they couldn't because the information is not fully shown.

I resume the review process assigning an editor, uploading a new review file but the Editing section in the submission is still incomplete, so i can't check the step 3 of the copyediting process neither furthere. This problem happens to all the submissions previously made before the update regardless there was a file uploaded or not.

Just to check I tryed to do the same with a new submission and published a submission without a file. And there was no problem. I check back again and I could upload without problems because it shows the Editing section completely. I did again uploading a file and finishing all the process and it was OK. I could check it all without problems.

I'll wait for your answer.

PD: Sorry, english is not my mother language ;).
PD2: I know i surely will have to send to you my database so you could fully check this problem ;). I'll do it after your reply in a private message.
hekutoru2kx

Re: Editing Process Information Incomplete

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:54 pm

Hi hekutoru2kx,

Thanks for the detail in your message! I don't think we will need your database, at least at this stage, but we will let you know if that is the case.

I do agree that the steps here are not particularly clear, and that sometimes there are restrictions (eg. not being able to copyedit without a review file in place) that don't necessarily make sense. That said, I think that in your case you may be able to overstep the problem entirely. Since your editors are digitizing and uploading old journal content, do they need to go through the copyediting process at all at this point? They should be able to simply upload a galley file under Layout Editing, and schedule the submission to a particular issue; when that is done, the galley file (PDF or HTML, most likely) will be available for users to view and/or download. They don't need to finish the copyediting or proofreading process for this to happen.

If they still want to go through the copyediting process for some reason, please let us know and I will propose some other potential solutions.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:55 pm

One further quick point -- you may also want to take a look at our documentation on importing and exporting data. There are a number of ways for editors to expedite the publishing process that may be of use.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby hekutoru2kx » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:36 am

jmacgreg wrote:They should be able to simply upload a galley file under Layout Editing, and schedule the submission to a particular issue; when that is done, the galley file (PDF or HTML, most likely) will be available for users to view and/or download.

In the Editing section should be the Layout Editing part, but It doesn't show for the old submissions. What the images shows is all that is available. That is why is incomplete. There should be the last step of the copyediting, the layout section, the proofreading section and other things. But they doesn't show up.

Thax again 4 your answer ;)
hekutoru2kx

Postby apennathur » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:40 am

Hi, I've been watching your post with much interest, because the same thing happened to us. Please see our post here with a screenshot that looks very similar to your problem.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7043

James then suggested to us that the problem may be in the signoff table for copyediting. James pointed us to this post below and the solutions by John, Alec and Matt.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6450#p25188

We followed the manual insertion solution in that post and it solved the problem for us. We are now able to see the entire Editing page until the last step of editing. May be that solution will help you too.

Regards,
Arun
apennathur

Postby sgc » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:46 pm

We are having the exact same issue as hekutoru2kx. I cannot add anything to a fix as everything we have tried has been ineffective. The tables that worked for Arun did not apply to our problem. Deleting and reloading the the exact same xml data files appears to work but is not a viable solution given the number of files already uploaded on our site. Anyone have an idea???

Simon
sgc

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:26 pm

Hi all,

First off, hekutoru2kx -- apologies, I misunderstood your last post! Have you tried Arun's suggestion?

Simon, can you give more information on your problem, and what you have done to try and solve it -- OJS version; how you applied the previous fix suggestions; what you mean by reloading the XML file; etc.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby hekutoru2kx » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi again ;)

I checked the Arun's suggestion but I couldn't find a solution.

SO: RedHat Enterprise Linux 5
Database Server: PostgreSql 8.1.9
Web Server: Apache/2.2.3

I made the update with a new full package from version 2.2.2 to 2.3.3-3. I applyed the recommended patches before upgrading the database. Copyed the custom content and finished the update without warnings or errors.

I activated the browser errors report but it doesn't show anything either. I checked the database article tables comparing an old file with a new file and I couldn't find the problem that way.

I haven't try the import/export Simon said. But I agree with him, if import/export works is not a viabel solution :S.

thx 4 your answer James
hekutoru2kx

Postby hekutoru2kx » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:12 pm

It's been already a week :P. Could you confirm the problem we are having? or do you need more info about it ;).

Thx
hekutoru2kx

Postby mcrider » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:01 pm

Hi hekutoru2kx,

Are you sure you followed the suggestions in http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6450#p25188, in particular, inserting any of the missing signoff rows? Could you please provide the output of this SQL query: SELECT * FROM signoffs WHERE assoc_id = 1096

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby hekutoru2kx » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:50 pm

My apoligies this time,

Thx for answering matt. I wasn't understanding too well the other topic, but with your answer you made it clear for me.

I made the query you told me and actually there's a missing round acording to the other topic (the SIGNOFF_COPYEDITING_AUTHOR). I add one manually to the exactly submit, and now it shows the full edition page. So you are correct, this is the source of my problem.

The question is, Is there a way to solve it for all the articles with the same problem?

You gave a long QUERY in the other topic to merge both databases. The problem is that it is in MySQL, and we are running postgres. I'm not an expert on this subject, so I can't create myself a query for doing that.

I suposse this are some things to have in mind to do it.
- The Upgrade was already made and is running
- Some articles were deleted and remade according to the need (quickest solution for problem).

If you can help me with that, or give me some pointers It would be great. This are the details of the server.

SO: RedHat Enterprise Linux 5
Database Server: PostgreSql 8.1.9
Web Server: Apache/2.2.3
hekutoru2kx

Postby hekutoru2kx » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:24 pm

Hi, is me again!

I've been reading the postgres query to learn how to do it. But I would like to know, wich information from the old database (and in wich table is the info) i need to merge with the new database (and where) to solve the problem we are having.

Thx again
hekutoru2kx

Postby sgc » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:05 pm

Matt

After going through things with James, your answer to hekutoru2kx above does work for us by modifying the database. Unfortunately we have hundreds of entries that will need to be modified! Any suggestions on how to do this without going through every individual instance? We are running OJS with MySQL. My expertise is definitely not in sql so any help structuring queries would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Simon

p.s. It would probably be a good idea to get to the actual cause of this issue as I can see it becoming more common as users move from2.2.* to 2.3.*. It is something that seems to be occurring in the upgrade process - at least for some of us.
sgc

Postby garde » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:49 am

Hi all,

I had the same problem when upgrading (from 2.2.3 to 2.3.4) .

I too had to manually add all entries for SIGNOFF_COPYEDITING_AUTHOR

I believe the reason why this fails to produce SIGNOFF_COPYEDITING_AUTHOR-records for some of us is that in the 2.3.0_preupdate.xml upgrade script

the SELECT part of

Code: Select all
INSERT INTO signoffs (symbolic, assoc_type, assoc_id, user_id, file_id, file_revision, date_notified, date_underway, date_completed, date_acknowledged) SELECT 'SIGNOFF_COPYEDITING_AUTHOR', 257, c.article_id, a.user_id, a.copyedit_file_id, c.editor_author_revision, c.date_author_notified, c.date_author_underway, c.date_author_completed, c.date_author_acknowledged FROM copyed_assignments c LEFT JOIN articles a ON (c.article_id = a.article_id AND c.editor_author_revision > 0) WHERE a.user_id IS NOT NULL

for some reason produces ZERO results for me. (So, it's no wonder that none are added to the new signoffs table)

Maybe the reason is that I have never used the copyediting process with authors at all?

In any case, there seems to be a systematic error, my DB upgrade script did not break and all other update statements after the above one have been executed ok.

Regards
Sebastian
garde

Postby mcrider » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:24 am

Hi Sebastian,

This should be fixed by the recommended patch at http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6456.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Return to OJS Technical Support