OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

TinyMCE in OJS 2.3.3

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

TinyMCE in OJS 2.3.3

Postby jayfitzsimmons » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:07 pm

Hi,

I am having trouble with TinyMCE (the toolbar that allows authors to italicize, bold, etc their abstract during submission) after upgrading to OJS 2.3.3. Another forum post talked about their TinyMCE existed but the graphics would only show up after mouse-over. That's not the problem for me - TinyMCE just isn't showing up no matter what. This problem may be a symptom of a larger issue because it may be related to the absence of Reader Tools after our OJS upgrade. We had been using OJS 2.2.4 with properly-working TinyMCE and reader tools.

Comparing the /lib directory of our previous and current OJS versions, I see that there is a tinymce directory in the old version (which worked) but not in the new version. There are also directories called adobd and smarty. I don't know exactly what these directories are, but scanning their contents they seem related to plugins and tools, which are also not working in my new OJS version, despite me following the steps to enable these tools and indicate that they should appear on the right panel during journal setup.

Would TinyMCE work if I copy the tinymce directory from the old OJS version to the new one in the lib directory? Likewise, should I copy the other directories too in order to get reader tools working? Or am I barking up the wrong tree, in which case could someone suggest which tree I should bark up (or at least suggest a better analogy than tree-barking)?

Thank you in advance,
Jay
jayfitzsimmons

Re: TinyMCE in OJS 2.3.3

Postby jerico » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:11 pm

Hi Jay,

there should be a tinymce directory in lib/pkp/lib. Can you check if it is there?

Also smarty and ADOdb are required throughout the application, not only for plug-ins and reading tools. I don't think your problem with reading tools or plug-ins has to do with these folders.

In any case I recommend you do not copy anything over from your 2.x installation as this will most probably not solve your problem but rather break more things.

From what you describe it seems that something has gone wrong while you were doing your upgrade. Did you get any error message while you were upgrading the database? Do you maybe have a PHP error log that you can look in? Do you get any errors when you try to enable a plug-in or display a specific page after setting display_errors to "On" in your config.inc.php?

jerico
jerico

Postby jayfitzsimmons » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:08 pm

Hi Jerico. Thank you for the feedback.

jerico wrote:there should be a tinymce directory in lib/pkp/lib. Can you check if it is there?

Yes it's there.

jerico wrote:In any case I recommend you do not copy anything over from your 2.x installation as this will most probably not solve your problem but rather break more things.

Sounds good - thanks.

jerico wrote:Did you get any error message while you were upgrading the database?

We pay a server host small company and they do all command-line based things for our OJS, including the upgrade we did. They did not tell us about any error messages. They said:
"The upgrade is complete. I took a backup of the entire "root" directory and placed it beside it as root.tar.gz (1.4GB). I also took a backup of the database and it is in the same place as db1011205_ojs.sql.

I renamed root to root-old, and moved over the config file (config.inc.php), public and uploads folders and ran the upgrade script as instructed.

The site looks to be working fine, but please check these 2 files:
config.inc.php
config.inc.php.orig

and copy over any new directives to config.inc.php from .orig (the one that came with the new version)."

jerico wrote:Do you maybe have a PHP error log that you can look in?

I don't know what a PHP error log is, or where I would find it. Sorry, I'm not as tech-savvy as most people here. I'm an insect biologist trying to get our journal online, and my insect-related training turns out to be of no help whatsoever to understanding OJS issues.

jerico wrote:Do you get any errors when you try to enable a plug-in or display a specific page after setting display_errors to "On" in your config.inc.php?

display_errors is set to on in that file, and I see no errors when I try to view pages or enable plug-ins (I tried enabling both Rounded Corners and Thesis Abstracts just now and they both seemed to enable fine). I'm assuming errors would be visible on the main screen, and not in some error log file?

I really have no idea what the next step should be. I'm wondering if our config.inc.php file isn't set up right after the upgrade. I'm open to suggestions. Thank you for your help.
Jay
jayfitzsimmons

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:11 am

Hi Jay,

Do you know if your admin upgraded via patch or by the full file upload method? Also, what is showing up for any TinyMCE-enabled field (for example, the Mailing Address field in Journal Setup Step 1)? Is it just a matter of the images not loading whatsoever (which may be a permissions problem, or may be a problem with the images not being uploaded properly), or is there absolutely nothing there to indicate that it's a TinyMCE-enabled field? (A screenshot might help.)

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jayfitzsimmons » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:44 am

Hi James - thank you for the directions.

Our server hosts installed the new version with the full file upload for 2.3.3-3.

I've taken a screenshot of the TinyMCE problem, but unfortunately I cannot figure out how to paste the image in this forum area. It looks like it's not just a matter of TinyMCE images failing to load - there is no spot for TinyMCE available, for either the abstract box or the journal mailing address in journal setup.

Jay
jayfitzsimmons

Postby libsupport » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:01 am

Hi to all

I seem to have the exact same problem, with the OJS version 2.3.3-3, only in my case i upgraded from 2.2.4 to 2.3.3-3 using the appropriate patch.
(btw, version 2.2.4 has been working fine with all our browsers). I can verify the problem with in Mozilla Firefox 3.6.12/IE 6. IE 8 works with security warnings but still doesn't display the toolbar images.

A screenshot from Firefox displaying the problem, follows:
copypasteTinyMCE.jpg
TinyMCE bug(?) in Firefox
copypasteTinyMCE.jpg (88.38 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
libsupport

Postby libsupport » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:26 am

[issue partly resolved]

For some reason in our case (in which the patch was used for the ojs upgrade) there were NO image files in the tinymce directories! For example, the lib/pkp/lib/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/ibrowser/images directory was empty! What I just did, was to download the latest ojs .tar.gz file and copied the appropriate tinymce directory to the appropriate place, overwriting everything below it. Now, i have all the TinyMCE images, but the cut/copy/paste still doesn't work in mozilla firefox (it's not a OJS issue) due to a security concern explained here: http://www.mozilla.org/editor/midasdemo ... prefs.html

Hope it helps...
Theodoros Theodoropoulos
libsupport

Postby snowy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:05 am

I'm afraid I'm having a similar difficulty in getting the TinyMCE plugin working. In fact I am finding a general problem with the plugins in this new version 2.3.3-3 which I have installed from scratch (ie not an upgrade).

My problem is getting any of the plugins to work -- for instance the left or right blocks are not appearing when I select them and nor do the rounded corners. But the blocks and rounded corners do appear on just one page -- the 'Plugin Management' page itself but no others! I had none of these problems with the last version.

I've checked the file permissions and they look all right unless I am not looking in the right place. Not sure what else to look for.

Thanks.
snowy

Postby jayfitzsimmons » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:59 pm

Thank you James, Snowy, and Theodoros for your comments.

My journal's problem with TinyMCE seems to be different than the one described by libsupport (Theodoros). Theodoros' screenshot shows a place for TinyMCE images but no images showing up. My journal's problem with TinyMCE is that no place for TinyMCE is showing up at all (see screenshot below - I finally figured out how to attach a screenshot image). So there may be two types of problems.
Screenshot of OJS TinyMCE problem.jpg
Screenshot of OJS TinyMCE problem.jpg (48.77 KiB) Viewed 2359 times

Our journal is having problems ever since our installation of 2.3.3-3 from 2.2.4.0 in December. I am worried the visible problems (e.g., TinyMCE) are symptomatic of a larger failure of our installation or config files. I describe our journal and its problems below. Our journal is scheduled to go live soon, and it isn't working properly. I am willing to do whatever work is necessary to get it working, but I don't know what to do. I welcome suggestions.

THE JOURNAL:
The Canadian Field-Naturalist
OJS site: http://www.canadianfieldnaturalist.ca/i ... /cfn/index

WHO I AM:
A PhD student in Biology volunteering as Journal Manager and Subscription Manager to transition this journal from print-only to print+online. I am only somewhat tech-savvy.

OJS:
We were using version 2.2.4 successfully. We upgraded to 2.3.3-3 in December via full installation. Our server contract company did this installation for us since we have no access to the command prompt for their server. Since this installation we have had problems.

THE PROBLEMS:
1. The most immediate problem is TinyMCE is not working. Because almost all abstracts include italicized words (official species names are italicized in biology), the ability to italicize abstract words is a major issue. Others in the forum have documented TinyMCE problems but theirs seem to relate to the TinyMCE images not showing up. Our problem seems different since there is no space allocated for TinyMCE images. From what I can tell the TinyMCE files are installed properly. Theodoros indicated there might be a problem with Mozilla Firefox, which is what I use, but I tried using Internet Explorer and the problem looked the same (no TinyMCE space).

2. Reading tools have been enabled and I've indicated their block should be displayed on the right panel in the journal setup. But no reading tools (or any other block) show up, whether on an abstract page or anywhere else. This suggests to me that my problems may not be specific to TinyMCE, but problems with my general installation or config file.

3. Uploading files. Users were not able to upload files for submission after our installation to 2.3.3-3. I tried several things but nothing worked. Eventually our server host changed the permissions for the Uploads folder to anyone can do anything. Now uploads work, but I fear this is not a secure solution.

4. Installation irregularities. The site claims (in both the admin settings and the About the journal > About this publishing system) that we are using OJS 2.2.4.0. This suggests to me that our installation to 2.3.3-3 did not complete successfully. However several aspects of OJS 2.3.3-3 appear in our system, including article pdf files appearing in a window within an OJS page, and the article upload step being step #2 rather than step #3 in the manuscript submission process. I know there is a bug regarding OJS version numbers not showing up correctly (http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6133), but from what I can tell that is a different problem than ours.

The problem might be as simple as me putting quotes around a directory in the config file that shouldn't have quotes (or vice versa). Or it might require a new installation (if so - how do you re-install a version?). I appreciate any help.

Sincerely,
Jay
jayfitzsimmons

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:17 pm

Hi Jay,

Having taken a look at your site, I suspect that problems 1 and 2 are likely permissions problems -- see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6802. Ditto with problem 3, which you have "solved", although I would also recommend being careful on how you set those permissions. Unfortunately, it's difficult for us to give you clear instructions on how to set your permissions, as server environments vary so widely, but you can find some tips here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/PKP_Fr ... issions.3F.

Problem 4 may be a result of bug http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6133, as you note. In any case, it's probably cosmetic. If you want, you can apply the patch and attempt to rerun the upgrade script.

If you continue to have problems, you may want to consider reverting to your 2.2.4 install and re-attempting the upgrade process. The best way to do this is, at least if you haven't made any code modifications, is to do the following:

1. revert to your original 2.2.4 file and database backups;
2. upgrade the OJS files to 2.3.3-3, following the Full Package upgrade process detailed here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/UPGRADE (don't upgrade the database at this time);
3. apply the recommended patches listed here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/OJS_2. ... d_Patches;
4. run the upgrade script as detailed in the upgrade document, being careful of course to note any strange errors.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jayfitzsimmons » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:33 am

Thank you all for helping me out. Thank you especially James - I really appreciate it.
With the help of our server hosts, we successfully reverted our OJS version from the faulty 2.3.3-3 back to 2.2.4-0 we had been using until Dec. The backup seems to have worked, and our journal is working fine again. We'll probably wait until 2.3.4 before upgrading, because I saw in another post that there will be some useful subscription management reports included in that version that look like exactly what we want for our print+online journal.

Thank you again,
Jay
jayfitzsimmons

Return to OJS Technical Support