OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Upgrade without SSH?

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Upgrade without SSH?

Postby soj » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:50 pm

Gack. Here I am again. My host does not provide shell or command line access. Is there any other way to run the ojs code upgrade patch or upgrade tool script.

Maybe htaccess again? Kinda nervous about this...

Thanks, soj
soj

Postby asmecher » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:38 pm

Hi Soj,

You can follow this process:
  • Back up your database!
  • Back up your config.inc.php file
  • Upload all files for the new version of OJS, overwriting old ones as necessary (A good FTP GUI should make this straight-forward)
  • Copy your old config.inc.php file over the new one
  • See the note in docs/README about the unified cache directory and file permissions in OJS 2.1
  • See the Release Notes (docs/RELEASE) for information on which configuration file options must be added (taking the defaults from config.TEMPLATE.inc.php should be OK)
  • Turn "installed" to Off in config.inc.php
  • Point your browser at your site and follow the upgrade link.
There are a few files and directories that are no longer used in OJS 2.1. These are harmless if left in place, but if you like, you can delete them:
  • classes/xml/XMLWriter.inc.php
  • locale/cache
  • help/cache
Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby mrich » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:47 pm

Thanks very much for posting this process -- it worked for me, too!

I first tried to use the patch, but only got a blank screen when I hit the website again to finish the upgrade. I quickly restored the site from backup and searched this BB until I found your posting above -- this time it worked without a hitch.
mrich

update

Postby soj » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:25 am

Wow, that was utterly painless and worked the first time through - thanks! The only stylistic feature I lost was a custom footer.

soj
soj

Postby soj » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:35 pm

I used this approach for the most recent update and it seems to have worked fine, once I re-modified a few templates. I now save and flag extra backups for any files I know I will have to edit again with the next upgrade.

Would it be at all possible to make an exe available for those of us without command line access? Or are server setups too varible for something like that?

Happy Spooks Day! soj
soj

Postby asmecher » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:49 am

Hi Soj,

Unfortunately, server setups are indeed too variable -- we currently support thousands of permutations of different versions of PHP, MySQL, etc. that all behave in slightly different ways. Not to mention that, for example, the Solaris patch tool behaves entirely differently than the standard GNU patch tool.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support