OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

TinyMCE icons missing

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

TinyMCE icons missing

Postby makemywish » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:44 am

Hi

I run our journal http://widescreenjournal.org on version 2.2.2.0. After the last upgrade from 2.2.0.0, the TinyMCE plugin works but the icons for the various commands do not display. Instead there is a blank space there. However, hovering the mouse over the appropriate command brings up a dialog box with the command name and clicking on the area performs the necessary action. However, no icon.

What could be wrong?

Kishore
makemywish

Re: TinyMCE icons missing

Postby asmecher » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:25 am

Hi Kishore,

The cause is most likely either missing files or permission problems. Check your server log and look for the requests that correspond to the TinyMCE icons; the server response code (e.g. 404 or 400) will help you track down the problem.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby makemywish » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:33 pm

Thanks Alex. That tip off helped locate the problem. The log revealed the following

30/Oct/2010:08:43:45 +0100] "GET /lib/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/themes/advanced/img/icons.gif HTTP/1.1" 302 - "http://widescreenjournal.org/lib/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/themes/advanced/skins/default/ui.css"

The img folder was missing. I extracted the folder from the latest download and uploaded it. Problem solved.

What I found interesting was that there was no img folder. Instead I found a folder called images. Perhaps the upgrade from 2.2.0.0 to 2.2.2.0 messed things up.

Cheers
Kishore
makemywish

Postby asmecher » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:11 pm

Hi Kishore,

Did you upgrade using a patch? Patches can't update binary files like images -- if so, that would explain why they're missing.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby makemywish » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi Alex

Yes, I had used the upgrade patch.

But there are other issues with the upgrade as well. For example, I have tried applying the patch to upgrade to the latest version (current) and that completely hosed the site. I suspect the upgrade from 2.2.0.0 to 2.2.2.0 created some issues. For example, I am unable to export users. The articles and issues export generates XML that is clearly corrupt.

So I am now stuck with a situation where I can't upgrade. The only option is to download all the PDFs and HTMLs, reinstall the latest version, and recreate the issues. However, I cannot possibly recreate all the users -- too many of them.

Any suggestions would be gratefully welcomed.

Cheers
Kishore
makemywish

Postby asmecher » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:50 pm

Hi Kishore,

Could you post an example of the corrupted XML export?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby makemywish » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:50 pm

Hi Alex

Exporting users results in teh following error message

Fatal error: Call to undefined method User::getDiscipline() in /home/wide02/public_html/plugins/importexport/users/UserExportDom.inc.php on line 48

I have uploaded the issues.xml and an individually exported article here:

http://widescreenjournal.org/public/issues.xml

http://widescreenjournal.org/public/article-10.xml

Cheers
Kishore
makemywish

Postby asmecher » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:44 am

Hi Kishore,

The getDiscipline function shouldn't appear at all in plugins/importexport/users/UserExportDom.inc.php for version 2.2.2 -- did you get error messages when you applied the patch?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby makemywish » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:12 am

Hi Alex

It was a while ago but as far as I can remember no errors were reported.

What did you make of the export files?

Cheers
Kishore
makemywish

Postby asmecher » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:14 am

Hi Kishore,

I'm not sure how it happened, but it looks like at least that part of the code may be of mixed versions.

As for the XML, it looks like your abstracts include HTML formatting introduced from Microsoft Word, probably by cutting and pasting. Unfortunately this introduces invalid HTML into the system, as generated by Microsoft Word. The generated XML is valid, but the encoded HTML within it includes Microsoft-only coding. (I assume the abstracts are what you wanted to draw my attention to -- is that correct?)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby makemywish » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:42 am

Hi Alec

Thanks for that. When articles are exported, how is theh PDF taken care of? Do we need to re-upload it or does the XML also include PDF data.

Also, what do I do about the users please? We need to migrate to the latest version and the inability to export users is holding us back.

Cheers
Kishore
makemywish

Postby asmecher » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:35 am

Hi Kishore,

The XML export will include PDF files. The only thing you'll be missing is the editorial history, i.e. in-progress versions of articles, reviews, etc.

Could you include an example of the badly formatted user export XML?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby makemywish » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:54 am

When exporting users the following error message is returned. No file is outputted.

Fatal error: Call to undefined method User::getDiscipline() in /home/wide02/public_html/plugins/importexport/users/UserExportDom.inc.php on line 48
makemywish

Postby makemywish » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:30 am

Also, it is ok to delete spam users directly from database or would it create issues?
makemywish

Postby asmecher » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:49 am

Hi makemywish,

That user export error is what I was talking about earlier -- it sounds like you've somehow mixed code between the two versions. It's hard to debug from here, but I'd suggest you get a copy of the user import/export plugin from the release package and see if your files are the same.

You can delete users from the database, but this might introduce a few minor data inconsistency problems, so it would be better to use the "Merge Users" feature (available to Journal Managers, and in more recent releases, also to Site Administrators).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Next

Return to OJS Technical Support