OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

User information form in different languages? Help!

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Re: User information form in different languages? Help!

Postby Kholodny » Tue May 07, 2013 9:11 am

Hi, PKP Team!
Writing just to support the request! It is useful even if the journal is not multilingual and the publisher wants to make the content clearer for english speakers (but the original metadata are non-latin). In case of miltilingual journal it is very essential.

Is it safe to use the patch placed in Bugzilla http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=5598 for OJS 2.4.2? In case of future updates we would probably have great problems with affected files, if they would be replaced by updated versions or something else?

Thanks,

Vitaliy Kholodny
Kholodny

Postby asmecher » Tue May 07, 2013 10:06 am

Hi Vitaliy,

I'm afraid I can't call that patch "safe" as it hasn't been reviewed, and because it affects the database in a way that is likely to cause problems when you later upgrade to a version of the software that *does* support multilingual author names. If you have some developer skill on hand and want to experiment with it, then please do -- but you'll probably have to invest some time in bug-fixing. This is an increasing priority for us but we have a lot of UI/UX and backporting work to accomplish first (leading to OJS 3.0) before we can tackle it properly.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Kholodny » Tue May 07, 2013 10:19 am

Thanks, Alec,
unfortunately I'm not a developer (yet :)), so would hope for a future releases.

Vitaliy Kholodny
Kholodny

Postby asmecher » Tue May 07, 2013 10:29 am

Hi Vitaliy,

I understand -- sorry I can't give you better news at the moment, but as I say, we have a lot of users requesting the feature so we understand that it's an important one.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Previous

Return to OJS Technical Support