OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Translation issues [OJS 2.3.3.4?]

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Translation issues [OJS 2.3.3.4?]

Postby ramon » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:35 pm

Hello all,
As we work on the translation of the next release, we've come across an issue:
The following key, submission.citations.filter.unsupportedPublicationType, has the content:
Code: Select all
Unsupported or missing publication type. Please manually edit the citation and enter a publication type (allowed types are 'book', 'journal', 'thesis' and 'conf-proc').

Should we translate the allowed publication types? Or should we leave them as they are?

Usually, these systems are NOT multilingual in their implementation, at least while it is not imposed or viewed as required.

For now, I'm leaving the types as they are...
ramon

Re: Translation issues [OJS 2.3.3.4?]

Postby ramon » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:46 pm

Hello all,

There are quite a few translation keys with the message:
Internal error: Invalid filter selection. Please submit a bug report.

Where should the users report the Bug? To Bugzilla? The Forum?
Will there be a link on this text to point directly to the defined tool for bug reporting?

The message seems to be missing something, either clarity or detail as is, and it doesn't read quite as "pleasant" after translation.
Also, we are just translating and haven't had time to navigate the installation to test where and how the message is displayed.
Do you have any suggestions?

We try to reduce the translation of certain commands (such as submit, delete, insert/add, cancel), to keep the interface simple, but error messages and other informational messages should be as self-contained and explanatory as possible, as we have no clue as to who will be dealing with the system...
ramon

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:15 pm

Hi Ramón,

Regarding your first question: it would be best at this time to leave the types as they are. I'll ask Florian to respond to the second question.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jerico » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi Ramón,

ramon wrote:There are quite a few translation keys with the message:
Internal error: Invalid filter selection. Please submit a bug report.

Where should the users report the Bug? To Bugzilla? The Forum?
Will there be a link on this text to point directly to the defined tool for bug reporting?

I completely agree that this error message could be improved. What is meant is:

Please submit a bug report to http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla with a description of what you have done prior to this error being displayed.

Kind regards,
jerico
jerico

Postby ramon » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:04 am

Hello Jerico,

Yes, that message is much clearer.
Can you locate the key for me, so I can update my translation?

On another note, not an issue though, I would suggest:
  • That the "Reference text", within the Translator Plugin, should be converted to simple text.
    HTML tags would have to be escaped though. However, this would display the full text, as the input form field is short for some keys.
    For long keys, a couple of CSS rules (overflow:hidden on the parent and scroll:auto, with a bit of padding, for example) would reduce the page overall scrolling.

The quirks is that, since the fields are disabled, the "tab" and "END" keys stop working when entering them, although the arrow keys + CTRL to select the text can be used in those fields (useful when copying variables, for example!).
    Maybe you could add a "Copy reference" button (just thought about this).
    This would prevent translators from making mistakes or missing content or variables while copying long keys.
    Then, if memory serves, the default action that copies the original content to the empty fields when creating plugin locale files becomes unnecessary.
    I'm not sure if this a default behavior anymore, or for all locale files. I think e-mail templates behave differently.

I remember asking for the "copy original upon locale creation" feature in my first suggestions, but as I work with the translation, I realize replacing text sometimes is not as productive. It is safer when dealing with long explanations and keys that have variables in them, but simpler lines of text are easier to translate at once and type from scratch, without needing to clear the field first.
  • Enable full text search in the locale file. I'm not really sure how you would implement this, but it seems that it would be a useful feature. However, since the data is not on a database, it may involve the use of other tools and functions that may not be available on all servers.
ramon

Postby ramon » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:51 pm

Hello all,
Quite a few considerations today, as I work on the translation:

• I improved the manager.setup.customTagsDescription key, to provide a more descriptive example of what to insert in the field:
    Tags META, inseridas no cabeçalho HTML das páginas do sistema.
    <br  />
    Exemplo:
    <br />
    &lt;link rel="schema.DC" href="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" /&gt;<br />
    &lt;meta name="DC.title" content="Título da revista" /&gt;

Do you have any restrictions?
    Would you like us to add it to your translation?
  • The message in manager.setup.editorialProcess2 key is confusing, as there is no Managing Editor role.
    Managing Editor handles Submission Queue, and Table of Contents, while Section Editors handle Submission Review and Submission Editing.

It should be something like:
    The Editor is allowed to deal with the whole editorial process, or distribute submissions in the queue, creates issues and their respective tables of content from approved articles, while Section Editors handle the review and editing process of their assigned submissions.

• I saw that you've added (or kept from version 1.0) the Editorial/Review Board text, although I haven't seen it in use in version 2.x. Are you planning on bringing this funcionality back? That would be awsome....
  • The key manager.setup.form.numReviewersPerSubmission is probably a reminiscent of OJS 1.x and has no use as far as I can tell in the journal manager area. You are not bringing this back, I presume, as it seems to be a forgotten key.
  • The keys manager.setup.selectSectionDescription and manager.setup.selectEditorDescription are not in use anymore. These were options available for OJS 1.0, which are related to this post.
ramon

Postby ramon » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:06 pm

Hello all,

It would be interesting to add hiperlinks to the messages whenever possible, such as descriptive text that points to other pages within the system. It will be a bit harder to maintain, translate and so forth, but will make the system more user friendly. Remember to add the variable for the label as well as the page itself. A variable like {$emailTemplates} within locale keys could be to link to the email template management, replaced by <a href="....">E-mail templates</a> automatically, and so on.
ramon

Postby ramon » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:50 pm

Hello all,

One more for the tab of "issues". This one is actually an interface/readability enhancement.
We suggest removing the word "Plugin" from plugin names/titles. We feel it's pretty obvious they are plugins, since the text is apparently displayed just in the Plugins section.
The repetition makes the interface boring and harder to read and spot specific plugins.
ramon

Postby ramon » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:23 pm

Hello all,

Are you planning on checking the enhancement requests we posted in Bugzilla?
Item 2, requesting that the current page (?localeFilesPage=x) be remembered, is quite critical.
Checking file by file is tiresome already, and having to remember and clicking on a page number to then sort through the files edited to open the next one is painful.
It's too much scrolling for the eyes.

I just thought of more enhancements that may be helpful, but quite difficult to implement:
  • Add the date of modification of the file on the table listing, along with the requested background color change of recent edited files. This way, we can see how fresh the translation is. Adding interactive headers is not essential, but would be an awesome plus!!
  • Add a check icon for files in editing. This way, collaborators would know who is working on what files. Joomla's JoomFish is quite interesting, although it's exclusive to Joomla.

I don't think there will be a software that would produce the XML files in OxS format.
The translator plugin will need to incorporate whatever functionalities are desired and possible.
ramon

Postby ramon » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:23 pm

Hello all,

Just one more post to list suggestions for improvement on the wording in English. This post will be constantly edited until the release of the new version.
  • plugins.generic.externalFeed.manager.noDisplayBlockAll.altText: No Block on All Pages
    This wording is already odd in English. In Portuguese it's impossible to translate accordingly. We suggest to change the wording to something like "None of the pages", but we sincerely haven't found a better wording for this than what's already available.
  • plugins.generic.externalFeed.manager.displayBlockAll.altText: Block on All Pages
    Adjust to what matches the other key.
ramon

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:40 pm

Hi Ramon,

Thanks for your feedback! I'll try and work through these one at a time, but if I miss anything just let me know.

ramon wrote:Hello all,
Quite a few considerations today, as I work on the translation:

• I improved the manager.setup.customTagsDescription key, to provide a more descriptive example of what to insert in the field:
    Tags META, inseridas no cabeçalho HTML das páginas do sistema.
    <br  />
    Exemplo:
    <br />
    &lt;link rel="schema.DC" href="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" /&gt;<br />
    &lt;meta name="DC.title" content="Título da revista" /&gt;

Do you have any restrictions?
    Would you like us to add it to your translation?
  • The message in manager.setup.editorialProcess2 key is confusing, as there is no Managing Editor role.
    Managing Editor handles Submission Queue, and Table of Contents, while Section Editors handle Submission Review and Submission Editing.

It should be something like:
    The Editor is allowed to deal with the whole editorial process, or distribute submissions in the queue, creates issues and their respective tables of content from approved articles, while Section Editors handle the review and editing process of their assigned submissions.

• I saw that you've added (or kept from version 1.0) the Editorial/Review Board text, although I haven't seen it in use in version 2.x. Are you planning on bringing this funcionality back? That would be awsome....
  • The key manager.setup.form.numReviewersPerSubmission is probably a reminiscent of OJS 1.x and has no use as far as I can tell in the journal manager area. You are not bringing this back, I presume, as it seems to be a forgotten key.
  • The keys manager.setup.selectSectionDescription and manager.setup.selectEditorDescription are not in use anymore. These were options available for OJS 1.0, which are related to this post.

Regarding manager.setup.customTagsDescription key: what you've added looks great, but I'll ask you to hold off on adding it to en_US just yet -- we freeze the en_US locale keys during larger translation, to avoid any potential confusion.

Regarding the possibly unused/old keys: I'm not sure why these holdovers still exist, but they should be deleted. I've added this as a bug report: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=5879. Unfortunately, we probably won't get to it during this round of translations.

I'll be responding to the rest early tomorrow. Thanks again for the input!

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby ramon » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:08 am

Hello all,

Bugs and typos:

There is a bug on locale key plugins.citationFormats.abnt.retrieved, of the ABNT Citation plugin:
 Current code:
Available at: <a href="{$url}" target="_new">{$url}</a>. Date accessed: {$retrievedDate}

Should be:
Available at: &lt;<a href="{$url}" target="_new">{$url}</a>&gt;. Date accessed: {$retrievedDate}.

There is a text erro in key plugins.importexport.native.import.error.articleCoverageChronLocaleUnsupported
Current:
An article geographical coverage was provided for the article "{$articleTitle}" in the issue "{$issueTitle}" in a locale ("{$locale}") that this journal does not support.

Should be:
An article chronological coverage was provided for the article "{$articleTitle}" in the issue "{$issueTitle}" in a locale ("{$locale}") that this journal does not support.
Last edited by ramon on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ramon

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:00 pm

Hi Ramón,

One more for the tab of "issues". This one is actually an interface/readability enhancement.
We suggest removing the word "Plugin" from plugin names/titles. We feel it's pretty obvious they are plugins, since the text is apparently displayed just in the Plugins section.
The repetition makes the interface boring and harder to read and spot specific plugins.

Worth considering, but likely after the translation update this time around.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:02 pm

Hi Ramón,

It would be interesting to add hiperlinks to the messages whenever possible, such as descriptive text that points to other pages within the system. It will be a bit harder to maintain, translate and so forth, but will make the system more user friendly. Remember to add the variable for the label as well as the page itself. A variable like {$emailTemplates} within locale keys could be to link to the email template management, replaced by <a href="....">E-mail templates</a> automatically, and so on.

I have a feeling that this would be a nightmare to maintain -- we already encounter issues with broken links on pages that aren't necessarily consistently checked. However, we do plan on eventually including embedded help text within OxS (culled from the Userguides), which would provide some of this functionality (ie. user-friendliness) without the adding another testing component.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:24 pm

Hi Ramón,

Are you planning on checking the enhancement requests we posted in Bugzilla?
Item 2, requesting that the current page (?localeFilesPage=x) be remembered, is quite critical.
Checking file by file is tiresome already, and having to remember and clicking on a page number to then sort through the files edited to open the next one is painful.
It's too much scrolling for the eyes.

I just thought of more enhancements that may be helpful, but quite difficult to implement:
  • Add the date of modification of the file on the table listing, along with the requested background color change of recent edited files. This way, we can see how fresh the translation is. Adding interactive headers is not essential, but would be an awesome plus!!
  • Add a check icon for files in editing. This way, collaborators would know who is working on what files. Joomla's JoomFish is quite interesting, although it's exclusive to Joomla.

I don't think there will be a software that would produce the XML files in OxS format.
The translator plugin will need to incorporate whatever functionalities are desired and possible.

I've just moved this bug from OMP to OJS; it'll be considered for the 2.3.4 release. I've also added your further enhancement requests to it.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Next

Return to OJS Technical Support