OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Some problems doing the ca_ES translation of OJS

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Some problems doing the ca_ES translation of OJS

Postby Marc » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:07 am

Hello people,

We are doing the OJS translation to Catalan (ca_ES) and we have some little problems.

- First, we have done the translation with the version
$Id: locale.xml,v 1.365 2005/09/16 21:00:18 alec Exp $
but after finish it, we have also revised with the version
$Id: locale.xml,v 1.324 2005/07/04 01:10:56 kevin Exp $

Somebody knows if there is some way to make sure that the last file is correct? I ask for a parser which compare the XML tags between two files or something similar...

- The other problem is not about the translation but it is using the transaltion.
We have installed in our box en_US, es_ES and ca_ES and they run correctly.
But, using Catalan or English as a journal language, there are some sentences which are showed in Spanish. This sentences are always inside text-boxes. Here some examples of the not well translated keys: privacyStatement, copyeditInstruct, proofInstruction, readerInformation...

It is not a cache problem, because we have erased all cached language files.

Besides, we have seen that all the translations which do not run correctly are defined in the ./registry/journalSettings.xml file.

Knows somebody if there is something to change in this file?
Somebody has deal with this problem and correct it?

Thanks a lot...

Marc
Marc

Postby asmecher » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:26 pm

Hello Marc,

You can use the CVSWeb tool to generate diffs between the various versions of the locale file. Go to:

http://research2.csci.educ.ubc.ca/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ojs2/locale/en_US/locale.xml

Choose your two versions (1.324 and 1.365) and use the "diff request" form at the bottom of the page to generate a list of the changes between the two versions.

Regarding the journal settings with the keys privacyStatement, copyeditInstruct, proofInstruction, and readerInformation: These are all journal settings configured by the user in the Journal Setup pages and currently only one locale is supported. Do you need to support multiple languages for these fields on the same journal site?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Multiple languages

Postby ramon » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:55 am

Alec,

I don't know if I speak for all of the Braziliand journals, but it would be highly appreciated if the information about the journal could be input in multiple languages and displayed in the specific language when requested.

When the information is not there, it should display the default language content.

I have a few ideas on how to implement this, but it would require some assistance. For instance, all could be input in the same database field, but you may run into problems returning the information to the page. Maybe too many arrays will overuse memory, especally with more than 2 languages..

Again, as these journals become more popular, content may have to be displayed in many languages...
ramon

Postby Marc » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:41 am

Hello Alec,

Thanks for your "How to" of the CVSWeb, it is the first time that I use it.
I've done the diff I now we are working in the 1.365 version.

Besides, on the last mail you ask me:
>Do you need to support multiple languages for these fields on the same journal site?

It is not mandatory, but would be very useful. In Spain there are many languages, and the same journal can be read by many people using different journal languages (even if the content of the articles is not in her native language).

But my trouble is not exactly that. You say that the keys privacyStatement, copyeditInstruct, proofInstruction, and readerInformationse are journal settings configured by the user in the Journal Setup pages.
It is, but in the locale.xml we can found these messages (I think, in local.xml there are the default key values).
My idea is to set these default values in Catalan, and if some journal need them in Spanish or English we will change his configuration. But I can't do it. I have a journal with Spanish as default value and another with English, but I don't understand why...

Thanks,
Marc

Postby asmecher » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:14 am

Hello Marc,

You're correct: some of the messages in locale.xml like the copyedit instructions are only used as defaults for the journal settings presented in the Journal Setup pages. These defaults are automatically entered as journal settings when you create a journal in the Site Administrator's interface; that is the only time the defaults are used.

Marc and Ramon, we're considering how best to support multiple languages in the Journal Setup fields without the interface becoming too unwieldy; this probably won't make it into the next release (early in the new year), but it may be suitable for a patch soon thereafter.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

¿Need help?

Postby mbria » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:59 am

Hi Marc & Ramon,

¿do you need help with the translation?

I'm also interested in the Catalan localization so if you you think more hands can be usefull to speed up the process, please contact me at marc.bria(unaArroba)uab.es

My English is not very good but I'm native Catalan speaker.

BTW, recently I found an article with a nice propossal to save time translating. It's in catalan, but I'm sure it won't be a problem for you both. :-P

http://www.terraquis.net/article/traductors-madrosos

Cheers,

m.
mbria

Postby Marc » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:55 am

Hi Marc,

When we have finished completely the translation we will send it to OJS community.
Is it urgent for you?

a10,

BTW I think Ramon is Portuguese :-)
Marc

Great !!

Postby mbria » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:57 am

Urgent? Not really... it's just that I though was unpolite asking for your translation without offering my help first. :-P

Just kidding. I love free software philosophy. Great if you share your translation, but let me know if you need help. I full understand that sometimes more hands don't mind more effectiveness.

BTW, may I contact you by mail or others? Probably you and us are the only public organizations in catalonia working over OJS, so if you don't mind, I like to know about your project and probably you will like to know about ours.

Fins aviat i merci per tot,

m.
mbria

Return to OJS Technical Support