OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Using Handle.net instead of DOI.

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Using Handle.net instead of DOI.

Postby bdgregg » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:01 pm

Can OJS use Handle.net prefixes,etc. instead of DOIs?

Is Anyone doing this? Why or why not?

We've been asked to look into using either DOIs or Handles for our journals and so far I see only references to DOIs and CrossRef, but it seems like a Handle system alone could be used for a similar purpose. The DOIs cost significantly more. We have several Digital Repositories (OJS, OCS, EPrints, ETD-db, etc.) and would like a simple all in one generic solution that is capable of handling several thousand "items" with little cost and we're open to running our own Handle server.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian Gregg.
bdgregg

Re: Using Handle.net instead of DOI.

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:57 am

Hi Brian,

IIRC, we'll be including Handle capabilities in our software as part of the national Synergies Project. I believe one of our partner institutions (University of Calgary) is working on this. I don't have a concrete timeline, but it should be in the next several months.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby bdgregg » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:00 am

James,

Thank you very much for the information. This is good news. We look forward to being able to use either option.

Much appreciated.

Brian Gregg.
bdgregg

Postby gonetil » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:07 am

Hi everyone,
does anyone know if there have been advances on this topic? We are using Handle.net at UNLP's repository (SeDiCI, http://sedici.unlp.edu.ar), and we would like to integrate it with UNLP's Journal Portal too (revistas UNLP).
Regards,
Gonzalo
Last edited by gonetil on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
gonetil

Postby bijaan » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:00 am

Hi,

We too would be interested in this possibility. We are using handle.net at Malmö University's repository (MUEP).

Thanks,

Jacob Andersson
bijaan

Postby Richard » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:02 am

Did the implementation of handles ever happen? I don't see anything in the documentation about it and I noticed the discussion ended in 2012.

Richard
Richard

Postby asmecher » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:21 am

Hi all,

The University of Calgary developed and released a plugin for this -- it may need some tweaking for use with another handle provider. See http://www.synergiesprairies.ca/node/76 for more information.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Richard » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:43 am

I am only familiar with Handles from our DSpace installation, so bear with me ...

If we choose to use a handle service rather than the doi service, are the handles assigned site-wide on our OJS installation or does the handle plug-in include some identifier for each journal on the site?

For example - in our DSpace instance, our handle prefix is 10504 and the handles are assigned by accession as items are created. Thus, an item created in collection A may assigned 10504/3001 and an item in collection B assigned 10504/3002 if it was the next item created in the system. The handle provides no indication of which collection contains which item.

Does the U. of Calgary handle plugin work the same way?

It's not a critical issue for us, but I need to understand how it's going to work.

Richard
Richard

Postby asmecher » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:47 am

Hi Richard,

Unfortunately I'm not especially familiar with the internals of that plugin; I'd suggest contacting its maintainer.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Cipri » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:59 am

Hi everyone,
I'm pretty new managing OJS, so excuse my ignorance and please, use "for-dummies" explanations if you want to reply my query. I want to give permament identifiers to the articles of my journal, so i registered with Handle System because it's much cheaper than DOI's given by Crossref. To activate the software of Handle Systme a need to install a plugin they let you download with an extension tar.gz (hsj-7.3.1.tar.gz)
I am using Windows, and so i do in my OJS and go to: Home > User > Journal Management > Plugin Management > Install A New Plugin
But an error message appears:
"Errors occurred processing this form:
Please select a file first"

I obviuosly selected the tar.gz file, but it seems that it doesn't recognize it.
What do i have to do?
Thnak you
Cipri

Postby asmecher » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:47 am

Hi Cipri,

Have you looked through the instructions in the plugin's README document?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support