OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Email Problem -Most urgent and Important

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Email Problem -Most urgent and Important

Postby himanshu18in » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:35 am

Sir,
Email sending is an utmost important part of OJS. Still it face a lot of problems and errors.

You have configured OJS for PHP mails. Whereas webhosting services generally do not support PHP emails as it increase spams. yahoo/gmail also defined PHP emails as spams.

When a person configured smtp i.e. gmail etc, it also do not work properly. Why?

When you have given this facility in OJS to setup expernal smtp like gmail etc then it should work, but it never work.

Please rectify this thing and help us in setting up of email. I have already read the FAQ, search whole forum etc. All person enquiring this thing but do not getting a satisfactory solution.

www.jpbas.tk

It have php, but server have blocked php and asking to use smtp. But smtp configuration is not working with OJS 2.2.3

Please help.

Regards
Himanshu
himanshu18in

Re: Email Problem -Most urgent and Important

Postby asmecher » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:03 am

Hi Himanshu,

Gmail's SMTP service is not intended to be used this fashion -- it's intended only as a way of sending out personal mail that comes *from* that GMail account, so it's likely that you will have difficulties e.g. all messages will appear to come from your GMail account rather than users in your OJS system. I would suggest finding a proper SMTP service, which should be available from your hosting provider.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby himanshu18in » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:11 am

Sir,
I am totally fade up of all these things. Inspite of running journal, I am putting my money here and there in webhosting and trying their systems. In some hosting unzip facility is not there, in some rates are too high and in some PHP email is not working.

Really frustating and depressing.

There is no good host which serve the system good and economically. I am in India we can afford Rs 1500-2000/- per year (35-40$ a year) maximum. In this amount we are not getting international hosting i.e. $5 per month (60$ a year).

Godaddy also provide packages in Indian currency, but dont know it support it well or not with all functions. Can you tell me good smtp? Presently at znetindia.com, OJS 2.3.0 is not running but OJS 2.2.3 is running but there is a problem of email.

I think, I have to leave this concept of OJS/journal.

Anyways, thank you very much for support.

Regards
Himanshu
himanshu18in

Postby asmecher » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:27 am

Hi Himanshu,

Every host is different -- OJS is written to be as broadly compatible as possible, but if e.g. a provider doesn't offer SMTP services, there's nothing we can do about it. We have reports of users running OJS on Godaddy accounts; search the forum for "godaddy" and you should find a few related threads.

There are often work-arounds to the differences between hosts; for example, if there's no way to unzip the installation package on the server side, you can always unzip it on your machine and upload the contents instead.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby himanshu18in » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:32 am

Thank you sir.

himanshu
himanshu18in

Postby himanshu18in » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:17 am

Sir,
Tell me 1 more thing.

If we do not want to use the online submission and review system. As there is always some error in it. We want a system :
1. articles are submitted through email.
2. editor send it for review through personal email
3. After final pdf is formed, we need to create an issue and upload all pdf with title and abstract to the system.
4. then the articles can be converted to xml etc for indexing and searching.

Can we modify OJS like this or is there any other such simple system?

Regards

Himanshu
himanshu18in

Postby asmecher » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:17 pm

Hi Himanshu,

If you're encountering problems in the review and submission parts of OJS, please post them here -- but yes, there are ways to get articles into the system without going through the review process. See http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/Importing_and_Exporting_Data#Using_the_Web-based_Expedited_Submission_Process_to_Add_Articles_Quickly, for example. If you're interested in other journal systems, there are several listed in the FAQ.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support