OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Odd page behavior in OJS 2.0

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Odd page behavior in OJS 2.0

Postby leo » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:55 am

I am having odd results installing Open Journal Systems. The installation process completes successfully, and I am able to automatically generate the mysql database required. I made the owner of the OJS directory root. However, once the installation is complete, Open Journal Systems doesn't function correctly. Clicking on links doesn't seem to update the page. I documented and duplicated the installation steps on my own Fedora test box and Open Journal Systems works fine.

What could I be missing? Has anyone else experienced the odd page behavior like I am? Below is my personal OJS setup and the isjournals.org OJS setup to show you an example. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.leodominguez.com/journals (WORKS)

http://www.isjournals.org/journals (ODD PAGE BEHAVIOR)

Here are the installation steps I have been performing:
-------------------------------------------------------
How I install Open Journal Systems
Code: Select all
cd /home
wget http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/download/ojs-2.0.2-1.tar.gz
tar -xzvf ojs-2.0.2-1.tar.gz
rm ojs-2.0.2-1.tar.gz
mv ojs-2.0.2-1 journals
chown -R root:root journals
cd journals
php tools/install.php

leo

Postby asmecher » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:31 am

Hello Leo,

Check your server logs to see if PHP is throwing an error message. It could be that PHP is hitting the memory limit configured in your php.ini file (see the memory_limit directive).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby leo » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestion of checking my logs. After checking I notice anytime I try to access pages on my OJS installation I generate the following errors:

Code: Select all
[Tue Oct 11 12:36:20 2005] [notice] child pid 10688 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

I'm researching Segmentation fault (11) right now, has this been experienced by anyone else using OJS? Here is my server information:

http://www.isjournals.org/info.php
leo

Postby asmecher » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:19 pm

Hi Leo,

A segmentation fault indicates a bug in your server software, probably in PHP, but potentially in Apache or MySQL. It could also be a library version mismatch.

I've seen some versions of PHP cause segmentation faults when the memory_limit in php.ini is exceeded. I use a setting of 16M; you may be able to get away with 12M.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby leo » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:06 pm

Thank you for your help. For those who run into this problem, I don't have a resoulution for you. Our problem was "fixed" by my web administrator rolling back PHP5 to PHP 4.3.11
leo

Return to OJS Technical Support