OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

CAPTCHA problem

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Re: CAPTCHA problem

Postby nageshdbt » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:26 pm

dear James,

I am installed ojs 2.3.3-3 in cent os 5.4 with php 5.1.6 i am enable captcha in my registration page. what to do. plese help me out.

url: http://ojs.iucaa.ernet.in/index.php/kha ... r/register

thanks and regards
nageswaran
nageshdbt

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:00 pm

Hi Nageswaran,

What have you tried to do to enable captcha? You can find more information on enabling captcha here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/docs/userguide/2. ... ptcha.html.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby dankomed » Sun May 06, 2012 4:58 am

OK, It seems that everybody comes to the same problem, and always all previous solutions do not work.
So I operate OJS on GoDaddy Linux server. Just to repeat again, do not install on Windows server, OJS will operate extremely slow taking 40-50s to load a page. So now let me explain what appear to be the problem - all previous solution say that the font location should start with /usr/ or http://www.yourdomain.com./ojs/... All of this did not work. The path should be set relatively to the location of the config.inc.php file, at least for GoDaddy Linux server. I created within the /ojs folder another one called /font and I put inside freeserif.ttf. The code looks like this:

Code: Select all
[captcha]

; Whether or not to enable Captcha features
captcha = on

; Whether or not to use Captcha on user registration
captcha_on_register = on

; Whether or not to use Captcha on user comments
captcha_on_comments = on

; Whether or not to use Captcha on notification mailing list registration
captcha_on_mailinglist = on

; Font location for font to use in Captcha images
font_location = /font/freeserif.ttf

Notice that the path does not need ojs. because we start from ojs where the config file is located. Then, just to mention that if you have trouble with finding freeserif.ttf file you can go to your windows/font directory and then copy any .ttf font that you like. i tried arial.ttf and if you upload arial.ttf it will work just fine. The reason to use freeserif however is because the letters are smaller and on the CAPTCHA code smaller letters will be harder to be analyzed by spam bot, if it has OCR systems, or whatever. So if you do not freeserif or you cannot donload it from somewhere, or you don't have time for that, then just go to your windows/font directory and choose some difficult to be read .ttf font with small letters possibly handwritten, etc. I hope this helps the next user who reads this topic.
dankomed

Postby rowsonz » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:00 am

Hi to all
I configured my captcha settings as below upload my font files to the same location but when i go to my site's register page no captcha screen is here. My OJS ver. is 2.3.6.0. Anyone can help me? I read some users comments that "captcha is working" but i can't run this operation. Any other problem or configuration is required ? Or any version based problem can be ?

Thanks.

[captcha]

; Whether or not to enable Captcha features
captcha = on

; Whether or not to use Captcha on user registration
captcha_on_register = on

; Whether or not to use Captcha on user comments
captcha_on_comments = on

; Whether or not to use Captcha on notification mailing list registration
captcha_on_mailinglist = on

; Font location for font to use in Captcha images
font_location = /fonts/Arial.ttf
rowsonz

Postby asmecher » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:15 am

Hi rowsonz,

Are you sure there's a file called Arial.ttf in the /fonts directory? (Note that /fonts is an *absolute* path, meaning this is an unusual place to put a font. If the fonts directory is e.g. in /home/your-account, then you've entered the path wrong here in your configuration file.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby rowsonz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:55 am

Hi again, "fonts" directory created by me in ojs default folder. in my settings file there is a code like below:

; Complete path to directory to store uploaded files
; (This directory should not be directly web-accessible)
; Windows users should use forward slashes
files_dir = /home/suje/my-home-www/files

i tried to write my font location to captcha settings like "/home/suje/my-home-www/fonts/arial.ttf" (arial.ttf uploaded by me to ftp). But still not working, i tried also like "c:\windows\fonts\arial.tf" but not worked again ? Are there any error message or logs which can be switched on in the config files to understand and watch the situation this problem on my site?

randomly unusual named users register on my site continueously.
rowsonz

Postby asmecher » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:34 am

Hi rowsonz,

The /home/suje/my-home-www/fonts/arial.ttf directory is much more likely than the /fonts directory you suggested earlier. Is the font file named "arial.ttf" or "Arial.ttf"? Case matters on many servers.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby rowsonz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:37 am

Hi again;

I noticed that the font arial is locate as "arial.ttf" (all is lowercase) then i changed it but not work again.

What are the possible problems may be?
rowsonz

Postby rowsonz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:42 am

http://www.suje.sakarya.edu.tr/index.ph ... r/register this is my site's register section, there is no textbox as validation on the registeration form. Captcha settings is like below.

[captcha]

;Whether or not to enable Captcha features
captcha = On

;Whether or not to use Captcha on user registration
captcha_on_register = On

;Whether or not to use Captcha on user comments
captcha_on_comments = On

;Font location for font to use in Captcha images
font_location = /home/suje/my-home-www/fonts/arial.ttf
rowsonz

Postby asmecher » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:59 pm

Hi rowsonz,

If you're sure your font path is OK, the other candidate that comes to mind is TTF and GD2 support. For these to work, GD support needs to be enabled in your PHP configuration. Check your php.ini to ensure that it is available and enabled. Check your phpinfo() output to make sure it's enabled and working. You should see something like:
GD Support => enabled
GD Version => bundled (2.0.34 compatible)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby rowsonz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:32 am

Hi again,

I'm a bit novice at php, font location is ok i tried many different ways but none worked. How can check php.ini where the file is located? Or may i ask my hosting about this ?

I also wonder that upgrading the captcha plugin or my ojs core version can be useful ?

In addition are there any way to disable user registration ?

Thanks so much.
rowsonz

Postby rowsonz » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:22 am

Hi again,

Is there anyway to disable user registiration ?

Thanks in advance.
rowsonz

Postby gpnetin » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:24 am

gpnetin

Postby rowsonz » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:44 am

Hi to all,

I think i solved my spam registration problem with setting the minimum password lenght to 12 chars.

Regards.
rowsonz

Previous

Return to OJS Technical Support