OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Displaying Foreign Fonts in OJS

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Displaying Foreign Fonts in OJS

Postby hventer » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:26 am

Hi

We are posting some paragraphs with Greek words in them.

This font just comes up as blocks, so the server / OJS Site does not recognize these fonts.

Where do I add the font files to the server for OJS to be able to display this correctly when paragraph is posted?

Cheers
hventer

Re: Displaying Foreign Fonts in OJS

Postby mj » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:57 pm

Hi hventer,

Character encoding issues are a combination of the database settings, the original string being posted, and the settings of the browser attempting to view the page. We have vastly improved character handling in the recent versions of OJS -- I'd strongly suggest doing a search for "encoding" or "UTF-8" in the forums and have a look at a number of the other threads discussing these issues. Additionally, do you have a specific URL for the site that you're working with? What version of OJS are you using, and would you be able to post some of your encoding settings from config.inc.php? You shouldn't require any special font files on the server or anything to display Greek characters, but there can be some settings that make a big difference.

Hope this helps,
MJ
mj
Site Admin

Postby hventer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:37 am

The version is 2.2.2.0.

The only place where fonts are mentioned in config.inc.php is the following:

//Font location for font to use in Captcha images
360 font_location = /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSerif.ttf

Here is an example of the font issue we are having:

 (love as life-orientation), 

The foreign fonts appears as blocks on OJS
hventer

Postby hventer » Tue May 05, 2009 7:20 am

Hi Guys

We are now getting more and more foreign Characters and OJS can't seem to display any at all?

We need to have a re-look at this. I have asked your guys help a while back.

Any other ideas?

This is Tiny MC. OJS Version 2.2.2.0

The below code also doesn't work:
<font size="2" face="SPIonic">
This is a paragraph.
</font>

Thanks

Heinie
hventer

Postby mj » Tue May 05, 2009 7:25 am

Hi hventer,

OJS only supports various character sets through the use of UTF-8 encoding; custom fonts like the SPIonic set aren't supported since they woould have to be installed on every client. As mentioned previously, I suggest you search for "encoding" or "UTF-8" in the forums and have a look at a number of the other threads discussing these issues. There is plenty of information there to get you started.

MJ
mj
Site Admin

Postby hventer » Wed May 06, 2009 11:16 pm

Hi,

I have looked at the UTF-8 and Encoding postings, but had no luck. My Config file and DB looks like it is setup correctly?

What do you suggest one does with characters that can't be displayed in OJS? Is there any other way of doing this?

Thanks

Kind Regards
hventer

Postby hventer » Thu May 07, 2009 11:33 pm

Hi Guys

I really need some professional help with this!

Thanks
hventer

Postby jmacgreg » Fri May 08, 2009 3:14 pm

Hi hventer,

Again, you can't just call custom fonts out like that via TinyMCE. If your DB is set to use UTF-8 encoding, and your config file is set properly, you should have relatively little problem with standard UTF-8 fonts, but that doesn't cover custom fonts whatsoever. Provided everything is set up correctly, you will be able to display normal UTF-8 Greek without issue. See viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3040 for one of the more comprehensive threads on this.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby hventer » Wed May 13, 2009 5:32 am

Hi

Can you perhaps tell me if there is a Hebrew Locales to install for OJS as we have a lot of Hebrew fonts etc...

Thanks

Heinie
hventer

Postby jmacgreg » Thu May 14, 2009 2:03 pm

Hi Heinie,

We haven't had a Hebrew translation contributed yet -- however, if you are willing to work towards one, we're more than happy to offer any help we can.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby hventer » Fri May 15, 2009 1:15 am

Hi

Sure? I don't have any knowledge on this though?

Thanks for feedback.
hventer

Return to OJS Technical Support