OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

A possible Bug "the alphabet P" ???

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

A possible Bug "the alphabet P" ???

Postby Safwan » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:49 am

I guess i have found a bug:

Here is the Abstract of an article:

Objective: To Compare Argyrophilic Nucleolar Organiser Regions (AgNORs) pattern with Proliferating nuclear antigen (PCNA) in different grades of transitional cell carcinoma.
Design: Descriptive and Comparative study.
Material and Methods: A total of fifty transurethrally resected bladder tumour samples (TUR BT) were collected from Mayo Hospital, Lahore and Services Hospital, Lahore and processed for H&E, AgNOR stain and PCNA stain. The grading of tumours were made on H&E stain. While AgNOR pattern and PCNA labeling index were recorded for each case.
Results: A significant higher proportion of cases (p<0.02) with 3+ AgNOR dispersion were seen in grade III tumours. The AgNOR proliferative index in grade III tumour was significantly higher (p<0.05) as compared with grade II tumours. The cases with AgNOR dispersion of 3+ had significantly higher mean PCNA labeling index (p<0.02) when compared tumours of 2+ AgNOR dispersion.
Conclusion: AgNOR and PCNA have significant role in grading of transitional cell carcinoma. The demon-stration of AgNOR dispersion is also a simple and cost effective procedure and could be considered as a substitute for PCNA labeling index.

And here is how it shows on reading tool, when clicked on abstract:
bug 2.JPG
bug 2.JPG (32.38 KiB) Viewed 640 times

And when i remove the brackets : (p***) to p***, than i get:
bug.JPG
bug.JPG (30.57 KiB) Viewed 638 times

Kindly help Thanks.
Safwan

Re: A possible Bug "the alphabet P" ???

Postby mcrider » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:46 am

Hi Safwan,

This occurs because of the less-than symbol in your abstract, which OJS is treating as an open bracket and thinks an HTML tag is being used. Try replacing all instances of '<' with it's equivalent ASCII code, '&#060;'.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby mj » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:49 am

Hi Safwan,

I would add to Matt's comment -- are you using the TinyMCE editor in OJS for entering your abstracts? You may also want to check whether the charnet_normalization parameter is enabled (or disabled) in config.php.ini, depending on which version of OJS you're using. Sometimes a different setting can address this problem directly.

MJ
mj
Site Admin

Postby Safwan » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:21 pm

I am using latest version with php 2.5.6.

charset_normalization = On

I replaced the < with &#060; but still the same problem. Is there anything i can try?
Safwan

Postby mcrider » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:59 pm

Hi Safwan,

I assume you mean PHP 5.2.6. You can try '&lt;' instead of '&#060;', also, if you are using TinyMCE, you might have to enter this in the source, not the wysiwyg text. Click on the 'HTML' button at the bottom right of the TinyMCE editor to access the HTML source.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby Safwan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:53 am

I had to make

charset_normalization = Off

Than i re pasted from source and saved and it was ok. The problem is the above setting. I checked the HTML after pasting and it was &lt; at the locations of <. Only after saving, it would change to something else.

Thanks guys. :)
Safwan

Postby mj » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:09 pm

Hi all,

I've confirmed that this is a bug in the current OJS release (2.2.2). It has been addressed as part of the Unicode overhaul in the current CVS version, and will be fixed in the next release. For those experiencing this who still need character normalization, you should be able to make a small modification as follows:

After line 57 in Core.inc.php:
Code: Select all
$var = htmlspecialchars($var, ENT_NOQUOTES, 'UTF-8');

Hope this helps,
MJ
mj
Site Admin

Return to OJS Technical Support