OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Article Titles Missing on Batch Upload

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Article Titles Missing on Batch Upload

Postby mnason » Wed May 07, 2008 7:27 am

Good Morning!

We recently did a batch upload of a whole run of a journal and noticed during proofing that a number of article titles had gone missing in the upload. Our import XML file contained text, and our original XML contained text, in all the appropriate places. On the ToC, the author name was visible, the abstract and link to HTML were visible, but the title was not.

On further inspection we noticed that all the titles had disappeared from articles with titles containing two single quotation marks. If we deleted the single quotes (or only removed one of the two single quotes) from the import XML file then the title would appear, but obviously, we'd like to not have to double back just to fix metadata that the import file should handle.

Jason Nugent and I talked about it for a while and we think that maybe somewhere along the line, the import program isn't properly escaping single quotation mark characters. If there are two of them in a title, it will disappear.

Also, I'd point out, it's really hard to fix this within OJS, because you can't get to the file summary without being able to click on the title of the article, and if the article has no title, there's no way to edit the metadata within OJS.
mnason

Re: Article Titles Missing on Batch Upload

Postby jmacgreg » Wed May 07, 2008 11:45 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the report; that definitely sounds like a bug to me. Can you file this in Bugzilla, against OJS 2.2.1? The description you have here is perfect.

Have you noticed this happening to other metadata at all? You obviously would have noticed if an entire article were missing -- have you encountered missing abstracts, keywords, etc.?

Also, if you could post a link to the bug report in this thread, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby mnason » Thu May 08, 2008 10:14 am

It appears to be only happening to the title, from what I can tell. Abstracts have been unscathed. However, there could be other fields... it's not too often we have any title with more than one apostrophe/single quotation mark in it.

http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3472
mnason

Postby jmacgreg » Thu May 08, 2008 10:46 am

Thanks for the report, Mike.

James
jmacgreg

Postby robasempai » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:52 pm

Sorry to activate this thread againg, but I have not seen any answer to my problem.

I try to upload an issue with more than one article in it but the XML plug in just import the first article.

I dont know which element I have to put in which place.
because I embed every <article> inside the <articles> in this way:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE articles PUBLIC "-//PKP//OJS Articles and Issues
XML//EN" "http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/dtds/native.dtd">

<articles>
<article>
<title>first title</title>
<abstract>first abstract.</abstract>
<pages>1-23</pages>
<indexing>
<label>Keywords</label>
<subject>keywords ; keywords 2; et cetera</subject>
</indexing>
<author >
<firstname>D.</firstname>
<lastname>laaast</lastname>
<email><![CDATA[ ]]></email>
</author>
<galley>
<label>Full text PDF</label>
<file>
<href src="http://www.cicimar.ipn.mx/oacis/Medios/oceanides/151-0123.pdf" mime_type="application/pdf">
</file>
</galley>
</article>
<article>
<title> second title</title>
<abstract> <![CDATA[<em>]]>Second<![CDATA[</em>]]>) abstract</abstract>
<pages>25-33</pages>
<author >
<firstname>J.</firstname>
<middlename>C.</middlename>
<lastname>Morales-Soto</lastname>
<email><![CDATA[ ]]></email>
</author>
<galley>
<label>Full text PDF</label>
<file>
<href mime_type="application/pdf" src="http://www.cicimar.ipn.mx/oacis/Medios/oceanides/151-2533.pdf">
</file>
</galley>
<indexing>
<label>Palabras Clave</label>
<subject>Chlorophyll a; Diurnal variation; Seasonal variability; La Cruz Lagoon</subject>
</indexing>
</article>
</articles>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do not mind the lack of <issue>....

All the examples that I found only use one article . Can you tell me where I am wrong?

thank you
robasempai

Postby asmecher » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:58 pm

Hi robasempai,

That file isn't valid XML; I'd suggest passing it through an XML validator before uploading it to OJS. Any XML editor should be able to do this; I use xmllint, which is free software and should run on any platform.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby robasempai » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:40 pm

Thank you, I was missing one closing <> in my galley (the <href>)...
robasempai

Return to OJS Technical Support