OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Two Layout Questions

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Two Layout Questions

Postby dru » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:17 pm

I'm starting to get feedback from our journal's readers regarding the HTML layout of articles and would be interested in hearing if there are OJS toggles to handle these things or if they are something that should have been done in HTML during the layout process. Two layout questions follow.

1. For articles with multiple authors, only the first author shows in the left pane. Both show in the right pane, but several readers indicate that they close this pane. An example can be seen here:

http://www.osbr.ca/ojs/index.php/osbr/a ... ew/514/473

Is there a toggle to get both authors to show in the top left pane? e.g. change Home > February 2008 > Lauriault to Home > February 2008 > Lauriault, McGuire

2. Is there a toggle to get OJS to insert the title of the article in the left pane as well as in the printable version of the article? Or should this have been done in the original HTML file? I'm hoping it's not the latter as that means I get to edit over 100 HTML files for the existing articles :-(

TIA,

Dru
dru

Re: Two Layout Questions

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:18 pm

Hi Dru,

While there isn't an already-coded method for displaying what you want how you want it, both questions can most likely be solved with a bit of smarty template manipulation. I would suggest taking a look in templates/rt/rt.tpl to see how the reading tools frame comes together, and see if you can replicate any of the code found there to work in templates/article/article.tpl.

However, all of the journals I've worked with have included complete title and author information in the HTML galley itself, so they can control more or less how it looks, and so that the information is complete when a user views a printer-friendly page. For an example of what I mean, take a look at http://journals.hil.unb.ca/index.php/NF ... ue/current.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Technical Support