OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Importing users: a few questions [RESOLVED]

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Importing users: a few questions

Postby Owen » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:50 pm

I tried this in 2.1 with limited success, so I thought I'd try it in 2.2, with the interests field enabled.

The obvious way to check on what was needed to import was to export some records, but it barfed (the error messages started with "Notice: Undefined variable: interestsNode in C:\xampp\htdocs\ojs\plugins\importexport\users\UserExportDom.inc.php on line 52")

Then I looked at sample.xml and had a few queries:
1. If a user has several interests, do they each require a separate <interests> tag? Is the locale required?
2. What about line returns in mailing_address? Shall I just replace them with commas?
3. Can passwords be added "in the clear"?
4. The import dialog seems to be specific to the journal: what happens if you want a user to be on more than one journal?
Owen

Re: Importing users: a few questions

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:06 pm

Hi Owen,

Firstly, there's a patch for the user import/export plugin that should solve some problems:

http://pkp.sfu.ca/cvs/cvsweb.cgi/ojs2/p ... 14;r2=1.15

1. If a user has several interests, do they each require a separate <interests> tag? Is the locale required?

Currently, you can specify one <interests> tag for each locale you want to enter information in.

2. What about line returns in mailing_address? Shall I just replace them with commas?

Line returns are fine as it's a multi-line field.

3. Can passwords be added "in the clear"?

If passwords are entered with the attribute encrypted="plaintext", they'll be encrypted by the system when they're imported. Otherwise, specify encrypted="md5" or encrypted="sha1", depending on whatever is currently used in your config.inc.php, and the hash will be entered directly. It's not possible to extract passwords in plaintext, as they are stored hashed for security.

4. The import dialog seems to be specific to the journal: what happens if you want a user to be on more than one journal?

You'll have to use the Sync Enrollment feature from the other journal's interface.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Re: Importing users: a few questions

Postby Owen » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:11 am

Many thanks: all is happiness! FYI: The patch file came up with an error in Windows: it needs another return at the end to complete it.
Owen

Return to OJS Technical Support