OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Premature end of Script Index.php

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Premature end of Script Index.php

Postby shier-jones » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:44 am

After having managed to upgrade the sytem, everything went well until I accessed the 'about' section of the Journal - from then on the site became unusable with repeated
'Premature end of script' error 500 , in my case referring to index.php
I was able to restore to the previous edition - but really do need to update as some of the bug fixes and feature additions matter.

Having read through similar problems on the forum it would seem that this is a known 'problem' attributed to 'buggy Zend' rendering.
This is very frustrating as I, like many I suspect, am using an external web-host to run OJS and therefore
1) Am unable to do 'manual updates' or apply patches - we do not have access to the command line
2) Turn off or otherwise alter the version of Zend in use

I have had to resort to mirroring the site files on a linux server in my own home simply to make the modifications/patches suggested

Is there any intention to take external hosts seriously in the future?
shier-jones

Re: Premature end of Script Index.php

Postby asmecher » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:23 pm

Hi shier-jones,

It's difficult for us to improve upon our support for users on shared hosts, because there is no standard method of access; some provide SSH, some provide FTP, some only provide web-based administration tools. Unless SSH is available, modifications will be a headache. We try to address this by 1) testing on a variety of platforms, so that maintenance issues, e.g. the need to apply a patch, are as uncommon as we can make them; and 2) helping people make the changes manually when needs be.

Shared hosts have unfortunately been slow to adopt the newer, fixed releases of Zend Optimizer, so in the meantime work-arounds are still sometimes necessary for that issue. A patch file is the best and most widely accepted way of distributing a code change, but unfortunately it may not be easy to apply it on a shared host. This is true for any web app on a shared host, e.g. Drupal, MediaWiki, etc., and reflects more on the limitations of a shared host than on any support limitations.

If you're on a host that only allows FTP, the best way to patch an installation is 1) to download the affected files to your local machine, 2) apply the patch there, and then 3) replace the files on the server with your patched versions. Unfortunately, there simply isn't an alternative, but I can help walk you through the process.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby shier-jones » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:21 am

Thanks,
I think OJS is brilliant - and I have always found the forums exceptionally helpful, I wonder if there might be any mileage in a forum/directory containing pre-patched files for people who are unable to patch locally? Just an idea..
shier-jones

Postby asmecher » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:58 am

Hi shier-jones,

In general, you can get access to all the various versions of the files from CVSWeb at http://pkp.sfu.ca/cvs/cvsweb.cgi/ojs2. In this case, since this is a work-around, it's not available there; I've posted them to the website to versions of the 2.2 files that need to be modified to work around the Zend Optimizer bug. You can download them from http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/download/patch/contrib/optimizer/2.2/optimizer.tar.gz. It contains replacements for includes/functions.inc.php and classes/db/DAO.inc.php for OJS 2.2.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support