OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Removing version files to free up server space

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Removing version files to free up server space

Postby soj » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:01 pm

I'm considering doing some housekeeping (deleting files) for our site to free up server space and get ready for upgrading. Once an article is published, what files can be safely removed from the server? Attachments? Editor copies? Anything apart from the public directory? Is it best to use the file manager?

Thanks in advance,

soj
soj

Re: Removing version files to free up server space

Postby asmecher » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:11 pm

Hi soj,

Generally, I wouldn't recommend removing files, as disk space is typically cheap -- you'll at least be leaving dead links from the various editorial pages. However, if you do need to free up some space and you no longer need access to the in-progress files, I'd suggest moving everything except the "public" and "supp" subdirectories from each submission's directory (e.g. files_dir/journals/1/articles/9409/submission and all of its contents can be moved offline, but files_dir/journals/1/articles/9409/public and files_dir/journals/1/articles/9409/supp should be kept as they may be needed by the reader interface).

I'd strongly suggest backing them up rather than deleting them, both so that you maintain editorial history, and in case you delete something necessary by accident.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Re: Removing version files to free up server space

Postby soj » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:52 pm

Okie Dokie! Thanks!
soj

Return to OJS Technical Support