OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Install FatalError

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Install FatalError

Postby DigitEL » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:42 am

Howdy All from a Newbie!
I was following the browser installation instructions, creating the second table 'Site' and after creating the second field got the following error message and cannot get any further:

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /Library/WebServer/Documents/ojs/classes/i18n/Locale.inc.php on line 201

I looked at the file and line 201 is:
$locale = $site->getPrimaryLocale();

Can anyone shed any light on the message? Do I need to uninstall and start over? Configure PHP?

TIA
ForNow
EL
DigitEL

Re: Install FatalError

Postby smiri » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:48 pm

Hi There,

were you trying to create the database manually? If you use the web installation, you should just create a database and let the installation process create the tables manually.

I would suggest trying again to do a fresh install and use the automated methods.

Let me know if you run into the same problem again.

Regards,
smiri

Postby DigitEL » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:33 pm

Siavash>

Thanks for the prompt reply.

were you trying to create the database manually? If you use the web installation, you should just create a database and let the installation process create the tables manually.

I created a database, as suggested in the ReadMe, and and made sure to put it in the MySQL Data folder. I note the database catalogue that was created by MySQL Administrator had permissions: rwx------
Then according to the ReadMe...

4. Open a web browser to <http://yourdomain.com/path/to/ojs/> and follow the on-screen installation instructions.

However, I kept getting error messages about certain fields not being accessable (sorry, I can't remember the exact error message syntax at this point) so I created the field and tried accessing again which brought up another field error message, repeated the field creation process until the error message indicated a 'Site' table was missing... created the Site table and got the Fatal Error message.
I threw out all the files and folders related to ojs, started over and produced the same result??? Seems like something simple is awry, no?
From your response it sounds like I should have been looking at a less cryptic installation page when accessing http://localhost/ojs/

TIA again
ForNow
EL
DigitEL

Postby smiri » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:45 pm

Hi there,

Yes, you shouldn't have to create all the tables manually. All you have to do is to create a database, and grant all permissions to that database to some user. Then just put the database name, username and password in the last part of the OJS installation page. Make sure you un-check the create database check box.

This way the installation should create all the required tables for you automatically.

Regards,
smiri

Postby DigitEL » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:28 pm

smiri wrote:Yes, you shouldn't have to create all the tables manually. All you have to do is to create a database, and grant all permissions to that database to some user. Then just put the database name, username and password in the last part of the OJS installation page. Make sure you un-check the create database check box.

Hmmm.... Yep, allowed all users to do everything but same result, so let's check some tech...
Mac OS10.4.11, MySQL Server Community 5.0.45, MySQL Administrator 1.2.12, PHP 4.4.7, phpMyAdmin - 2.11.3

Does this seem all O.K. to you?

ForNow
EL
DigitEL

Postby smiri » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:07 am

Hi there,

Your server specs seem fine and all meet requirements for OJS2. I also assume you're installing OJS 2.2. Is that correct?

Also, could you let me know what you select in your "Locale Settings" section of your installation page? There seems to be an issue with setting your primary locale here.

Regards,
smiri

Postby DigitEL » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:13 am

smiri wrote:Hi there,

Your server specs seem fine and all meet requirements for OJS2. I also assume you're installing OJS 2.2. Is that correct?

Oops, yes OJS 2.2.
Actually I went through and cleaned out the MySQL directories, dumped everything else and re-installed again and it worked!! Don't know exactly what I did, but....
One further niggler, however... When rebooting the machine and restarting MySQL I get something like:

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

The (2) at the end can vary and wonder what it means?
I don't know if this is a MySQL thing or OJS, is there some pointer in OJS that should be set to /tmp/mysql.sock?
I have been able to trick things by making a link in /var/mysql/ to /tmp/mysql.sock but would like to straighten this out.

Thanks again for your feedback!

ForNow
EL
DigitEL

Postby smiri » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:36 pm

Hi there,

the error you're getting is a MySQL error. Looks like the MySQL service wasn't started proper after the server restart or perhaps you have two different instances of mysql_server running. Either way, this is only related to MySQL and not OJS. You might have to contact the server admin to find out how to start or fix the mysqld service.

Regards,
smiri

Return to OJS Technical Support