OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Add new metadata fields in OJS 2.2?

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Add new metadata fields in OJS 2.2?

Postby rania » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:11 am

Hello all! :)
From some searches I've done to the forum, I 've noticed that there would be an easier way to add new metadata fields in OJS2.2.
I was wondering if this has been implemented in the new version of OJS (I didn't find something in OJS 2.2 realease notes)?
Currently I would like to add a new field for the references of an article and I would like to know how can I do it.
Again,many many thanks!
Rania
rania

Re: Add new metadata fields in OJS 2.2?

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:43 pm

Hi Rania,

While we don't currently support any sort of metadata fields specifically for references, we'll be looking into some ways of better handling references and bibliographic support for the next release. For the moment, most users are attaching their references to the end of their submissions, and these are being included with the final HTML and/or PDF article files.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby rania » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:33 am

Hello James! :)

Thanks again for the reply. Well, the truth is that we have two works pending in our Instutute: the development of the journals with OJS and the development of an Open Access Repository, which will include some of the papers in the journals.
So as the development of OJS will be concluded first, we would like to have some background work available for the Repository.
One of this work is the use of reference and reference indexing.
Do you mean that the next release will conclude such implementations as these above?
I think that it will take a while for the new release, no?

Nevertheless, we would like to add some new metadata fields to OJS. So can you please help me and inform me how can this be done in 2.2.?

Again many thanks for the help!

Rania
rania

Postby asmecher » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:50 pm

Hi Rania,

For the next release, we're hoping to implement support for HTML-based reference lists. This will allow the various editorial roles (Authors, Editors, etc.) to enter reference data formatted using the TinyMCE WYSIWYG editor (which looks a bit like a word processor). There's been interest in support for things like BibTeX, which would layer on top of this nicely e.g. as a plugin.

As for adding new metadata fields to OJS 2.2 -- the metadata storage system was overhauled for this release, so it's no longer necessary to change the database schema to support new fields. However, you'll still need to manually add the field to the various forms in the system. What are you adding, and where would you like it to appear? I can suggest an approach.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby rania » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:18 am

Hello Allec!

Thank you both for your help! :D

Well, such an approach will be very interesting for the new release of ojs and of course supporting BibTex references, as from my knowledge as a PhD student there are many professors which use LaTex and store their references in BibTex format.

As for adding new metadata fields in OJS, based on our librarians requests, we have a few. :roll:
The first, and I think the most easy, is to add a new field in submission process step 2. We would like to add a new field for author's full mail address (under affiliation).

The second , I think is more difficult, we would like to exclude the "add supplementary files" from the submission process and request the author to upload a list of supplementary files (which include figures, tables, some instructions is seperate documents) after review. This will be done in author's SubmissionReview page. (This is done mainly because the journals are from athropological sciences, specifically Greek history and culture, and, in these cases the workflow is a bit different. For example, the author must ask a museum the permission to publish a photo of an artifact and this is not done until the article has been accepted for publication.
I hope this helps...

Again many thanks for all the help and I am sorry for bothering you with all these questions.

Rania

I hope
rania

Postby asmecher » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:56 am

Hi Rania,

To add a mailing address to the author records, I'd suggest using the Bio Statement field as a template. You'll have to modify the following files to support the new field; look through each for where the bio statement is referenced (e.g. getBiography, getAuthorBiography, biography, etc.) and add a similarly-patterned field for mailing address:
  • classes/article/Author.inc.php
  • classes/author/form/submit/AuthorSubmitStep1Form.inc.php
  • classes/author/form/submit/AuthorSubmitStep2Form.inc.php
  • classes/manager/form/UserManagementForm.inc.php
  • classes/search/ArticleSearchIndex.inc.php
  • classes/submission/form/MetadataForm.inc.php
  • templates/author/submission/metadata.tpl
  • templates/author/submit/step2.tpl
  • templates/sectionEditor/submission/metadata.tpl
  • templates/submission/metadata/metadataEdit.tpl
  • templates/submission/metadata/metadataView.tpl
To remove the Supplementary Files step is actually not too difficult -- you'll need to make sure that upon completing the previous step the redirect will skip over the Supplementary Files step (pages/author/SubmitHandler.inc.php); edit the page links included in the submission process to hide the supplementary files step (templates/author/submit/submitHeader.tpl); and change the numbering for the step numbers in locale/en_US/locale.xml. It's already possible for authors to upload supplementary files after the submission process is complete, via the Summary page, but it's probably best to add a new link from the Review page that makes this process easier to get to.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Rames » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:39 am

I followed the steps above to add a mailingAddress to the article metadata. This works, however, I had to add 'mailingAddress' to the array defined in getLocaleFieldNames() in AuthorDAO.inc.php. Now the db table article_author_settings is populated with my article_author specific mailing address, and this mailingAddress is populated in the form when step2.tpl loads.
One thing that is not working is the default user mailingAddress is not populated when step2.tpl first loads. This works for the default user bio.
Any thoughts...
Cheers, rames
Rames

Postby r2d2 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:14 pm

Hi,

I have a similar question regarding OCS. I am trying to add the Mailing Address field to the Step 2 of the submission process. I believe the starting point is Presenter.inc.php and PresenterDAO.inc.php files. I added the following code in to Presenter.inc.php:

Code: Select all
   /**
    * Get mailing address.
    * @return string
    */
   function getMailingAddress() {
      return $this->getData('mailingAddress');
   }

/**
    * Set mailing address.
    * @param $mailingAddress string
    */
   function setMailingAddress($mailingAddress) {
      return $this->setData('mailingAddress', $mailingAddress);
   }

Then, I added necesarry lines to the PresenterDAO.inc.php. Now, when I go to Step 2 of the submission, I get the error:
Notice: Undefined index: mailing_address in C:\...\classes\paper\PresenterDAO.inc.php on line 205

The line 205 reads as:
Code: Select all
$presenter->setMailingAddress($row['mailing_address']);

Is there a file in which I need to define this new field?

Any help will be appreciated; I have been trying to do this without a luck for a day.
r2d2

Postby sighteer » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:18 pm

I'm with the latest release of OJS 2.2.3, but it seems there is still no metadata for references, no place for author/editor to input either.

I'm planning to change some class/template to add this function, for example in submission step 2, add a field exactly below the abstract, to ask author to give the list of references in TXT format. This may not sound very interesting, and I feel risk as I'm really not familiar with DB, PHP stuff.

The thing is that, as time goes by, more and more papers are accepted (with no references information inputted). So later when OJS's new release comes with reference inputting feature, I will have to do all the inputs by myself, which will of course terribly time-consuming.

So, my question is, when is it expected to release a version with reference inputting feature added? I need a estimation so that I can decide whether to take the risk to change the code, or I wait.

My grateful thanks to OJS team in advance for any reply.

Best regards,
- Sighteer
sighteer

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:04 pm

Hi Sighteer,

The next version of OJS will be released very shortly -- within a week or two.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby alally » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:48 am

Hi,
I'm curious as to whether the ability to include references on the "abstract view" page is available in 2.3.3. I've looked through the documentation and don't see a reference to this new function. Also, there was a mention of a plugin to help with BibTex, I don't see this either, but it's entirely possible I'm looking in the wrong place.

Thanks!
Ann Lally
alally

Postby alally » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:22 am

Aha! Nevermind, I found it.
alally

Return to OJS Technical Support